What's new

Type of USB storage on USB 2.0 or 3.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nospamever

Regular Contributor
Ok, I just bought 2 used RT-AC86U in good looking condition and have installed the latest Merlin, Diversion, swap file and YazDHCP. When I installed Diversion I have been prompted to insert a USB storage and since I have a well used USB2.0 8GB Verbatim stick on my desk I used that. Everything is running fine except I thought my RAM is running low. So I created a 2GB swap file on the USB stick. I did not create a separate partition for the swap mainly because I do not know how to :) but I can learn it if I must. The USB stick is in the USB 2.0 slot because I read somewhere that USB 3.0 messes up with wifi 5GHz or something.

Anyways, I hope to understand if it is ok to use USB 3.0 slot and if it is better to use:
(a) USB 3.0 stick in USB 3.0 slot or keep the current USB 2.0 stick in USB 2.0 slot.
(b) Use a portabe SSD drive on USB 3.0 slot. Independently powered drive or non-powered? Not sure the USB slot delivers enough power for an external or portable drive.

Appreciate any advice.

If you can, use the forum search feature to search for past discussions on USB devices with these routers. Lots of past discussion on the topic of USB devices with Asus routers. Generally most will say its best to use a SSD or similar drive rather than a USB flash drive/USB stick. This is due to what each device is designed for. SSD drives are designed for repeated read/writes where as USB flash drives/USB sticks not so much. Generally the USB ports will put out enough power to run a SSD drive or a single mechanical spinning 2.5 inch portable HDD.

On the slot issue depending on the router there may be USB 3.0 interference with nearby WiFi devices. With those routers its generally recommended to either use a longer cable from the port to the USB device if using USB 3.0, or move the storage device to the USB 2.0 port. Again, search for past discussions on that subject there are some there.

Ok, I just bought 2 used RT-AC86U in good looking condition and have installed the latest Merlin, Diversion, swap file and YazDHCP. When I installed Diversion I have been prompted to insert a USB storage and since I have a well used USB2.0 8GB Verbatim stick on my desk I used that. Everything is running fine except I thought my RAM is running low. So I created a 2GB swap file on the USB stick. I did not create a separate partition for the swap mainly because I do not know how to :) but I can learn it if I must. The USB stick is in the USB 2.0 slot because I read somewhere that USB 3.0 messes up with wifi 5GHz or something.

Anyways, I hope to understand if it is ok to use USB 3.0 slot and if it is better to use:
(a) USB 3.0 stick in USB 3.0 slot or keep the current USB 2.0 stick in USB 2.0 slot.
(b) Use a portabe SSD drive on USB 3.0 slot. Independently powered drive or non-powered? Not sure the USB slot delivers enough power for an external or portable drive.

Appreciate any advice.
You should be OK using a USB2 device in the USB2 slot with the add ons and swap file although I prefer a swap partition (old guy hang up). The recommendation to use USB2 comes from USB3 can interfere with the 2.4 GHz. AS for the external storage, if you must, use an externally powered device unless it is a thumb drive. As for thumb drives I've had the best success with SanDisk USB2 thumb drives.

Ok, I just bought 2 used RT-AC86U in good looking condition

Never buy used AC86U routers especially early production years 2017-2018.

This model not only has high failure rate, but also a firmware bug that may break some of your scripts.

Never buy used AC86U routers especially early production years 2017-2018.

This model not only has high failure rate, but also a firmware bug that may break some of your scripts.
Mine is production year 2019, is that ok?

Hard to say...

Mine is 2018, CPU never been observed above 80°C (mostly averaging 75°C) and rarely crash therefore I am considering myself one of the lucky ones) . It is my understanding that earlier models are more problematic (bad cooling) but because of reported inconsistencies in the quality in the production line assembly then even the latest ones still have this issue.

Mine is production year 2019, is that ok?

This router has multiple flaws and I'm in doubt something was significantly improved over the years. AC86U is a stellar performer when it works and perhaps good deal brand new, on sale for $110 and with maximum available warranty. In 2-3 years time you'll want something else anyway.

If your intention is to run Asuswrt-Merlin with custom scripts - choose a different model. AX86S is the closest equivalent AX-class model.

Hard to say...

Mine is 2018, CPU never been observed above 80°C (mostly averaging 75°C) and rarely crash therefore I am considering myself one of the lucky ones) . It is my understanding that earlier models are more problematic (bad cooling) but because of reported inconsistencies in the quality in the production line assembly then even the latest ones still have this issue.
Great to know. I bought 2x used RT-AC86U because it is listed on ebay that way at a great price. I still have my Sophos FW device so can always fall back to it. I also have an Archer C2300 picked up on FB Marketplace for a few bucks. I quiet like the C2300 but only has 32 IP reservations. Also picked up a NIghthawk XR300 with 64 IP reservations but do not like the webgui so I sold it. I think I still have my Linksys EA6700 in the cupboard.

Appreciate any advice.
Option (b).

I began to have problems with data corruption on my USB key based storage. First with mail and then with the DHCP MACS getting corrupted. I have a new actual SSD now. I have searched and searched, but nothing on MOVING AMTM and related Entware to new storage. Do I uninstall everything and reinstall pointing to the new storage, or just mass copy?

Better start fresh - format, set drive check, create swap file, re-install your scripts.

Uninstalled all entware packages and removed the USB key. Setup everything on the new WD Elements SSD and the memory usage is back to hovering at about 65% and even when I loaded vpn sessions on it and pushed usage to about 90% the web interface was still as responsive as before. So storage does make an overall difference OR I had something else corrupted on that thumb drive.

The larger the capacity of the usb flash disk or ssd you plug into the usb ports in Asus routers, the more the ram usage of the device increases. For this reason, if you don't need it, I recommend avoiding the use of large-capacity ssd or flash disk.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!