What's new

ubiquiti AC Pro users... happy ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brjoon1021

Occasional Visitor
I read the not so stellar review here and the cloying review at another site so I am wondering what actual day-to-day users are finding.

I had a BAD experience with a recently purchased mesh network so I am back in the market. an acquaintance who does networking for Veterinary hospitals and homes is a big proponent of the uqbiquite setup. He wants to put an AC router and 2 AC Pro access points in my hose. He mentioned something about ethernet so he might be running some cables. If this is what or similar to what you guys have eperience with I would really appreciate your input. the expense will b e higher than I was hoping for, but to have something that actually works will be a thrilling and marriage saving adventure.

I am not sure why bother with an AC router if you are putting in AC PRO wireless units. Use a router and enough ACPRO units to cover your house. Ubiquiti has software to manage your AC PRO wireless units. You will not want to split out 1 wireless unit from the rest by using a router with wireless which does not manage with the other wireless units.

I run Cisco wireless APs this way.

I think the path your friend is pushing for is the right direction. Wired backhaul will generally always win over wireless backhaul.....when wired backhaul is an option. I agree with coxhaus that you have no need for an AC capable Router....you just need a router that can route the traffic at the speeds of your Internet connection. If you are going the UniFi route, keep your WiFi all to those devices.

As for the selection of the AC-PRO. Unless you know you have 3x3 WiFi clients, they are a bit overkill. You could possibly save some money and go with the AC-LITE or AC-LR instead. Just note that there are for sure max speed differences between the models depending on your requirements.

Also as mentioned, there are other options for dedicated APs than Ubiquiti out there. They just happen to have a fairly loyal following and a decent price point.