What's new

Ubiquiti Adds Three Managed Switches To Its UniFi Platform

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
The three new managed switches are part of Ubiquiti’s UniFi SDN platform. All can be managed from the same UI, giving more control to IT as networks grow and need management to the edge.

The new UniFi switches include:
  • US-16-XG - sixteen 10G ports (4 x RJ45 and 12 x SFP+)
ubiquiti16portunifi.jpg
  • US-8-60W - eight GbE ports (4 x auto-sensing 15.4W PoE and 4 x non-PoE)
ubiquiti8portpoeunifi.jpg
  • US-8 - eight GbE ports, powered by PoE or adapter, one port has PoE passthrough delivering 12W
ubiquiti8portunifi.jpg
Available now, the three switches - US-16-XG (MSRP $599), US-8-60W (MSRP $109), and US-8 (MSRP $99) - can be purchased directly from Ubiquiti or its authorized distributors.

The smaller form factor for the 8 port POE capable switch is appealing over the 150W version. I wonder though if dropping support for passive POE means that they're finally going to upgrade their APs off 24V passive.

Ordered one of these US-8-60W, gets here Monday. Replacing a netgear GS018Tv2. Pretty excited to try it out.

Just arrived!
2017-01-23_15-47-15.png

Arrived with a USG-PRO-4 and a cloudkey. Unfortunately my wife invited company over, so I cant mess with them......

I've been running several US-8's and 1 US-8-60. No problems with them so far (I've been beta testing them). They've been running for about 2 months now. Was nice to ditch all my Linksys switches for central management in the UniFi controller.

@JeffLand Yes, they are ditching passive PoE support and everything going forward will be PoE/PoE+ only.

Runs pretty hot even with all the poe off except one for the cloudkey which is only pulling 2.4watts.

Ordered one of these US-8-60W, gets here Monday. Replacing a netgear GS018Tv2. Pretty excited to try it out.

Unless someone is REALLY, REALLY into POE stuff...

It's a generic managed L2 switch - the Netgear equivalent is the GS-108PE-300NAS - 89 bucks on the Amazon...

41kPcYoY5tL.jpg

Unless someone is REALLY, REALLY into POE stuff...

It's a generic managed L2 switch - the Netgear equivalent is the GS-108PE-300NAS - 89 bucks on the Amazon...

View attachment 8351
Yeah the GS108s are really nice, I just figured for $10 more dollars I could have it all in the Unifi interface. Keeping it as a back up for sure, which might be sooner than later due to the heat on the Unifi switch:)

Yeah the GS108s are really nice, I just figured for $10 more dollars I could have it all in the Unifi interface. Keeping it as a back up for sure, which might be sooner than later due to the heat on the Unifi switch:)

The ability to power the US-8 via a PoE input is invaluable. All of my switches are powered by PoE off my master switch (US-48-500). All are connected to the same battery backup (APC SMX1500 with 3 additional batteries).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!