What's new

Ubiquiti Dream Router vs Asus AX86U. Which one to choose?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lenyung09

New Around Here
Overview:
2000 sq ft home
15 devices at max
300/300 fios

Both the Dream Router and AX86U can be both found at a similar price and I wanted to know which one is "better". Yes, I understand that better is vague, but I do not know enough about home networks to understand what my needs are. I'm just a simple user you know? If it connects devices, has no random disconnects, good range/throughput, and provides bufferbloat management/SQM then I'm happy. I just want something that gives a good price to performance.

Naturally, I'm willing to learn if it will provide a better overall experience. Maybe what I wanted to ask is, "Do I lack the experience or even need a Ubiquiti Dream Router?" I'm only interested in Ubiquiti because it's business grade equipment and I impulsively bought a Dream Router since it goes out of stock.

Thank you for your help in advance.

So, you have both?

Simply try them and pick the one that works best in your environment.

Myself, the RT-AX86U is the one I'd pick for long-term use.

So, you have both?

So, you have both?

I don't have both. I just wanted to hear opinions on what people prefer. I guess I'll stick with the AX86U.

That would be my choice too. :)

I too am looking at upgrading my AC68u. I hear the UDM has way more cpu throughput as it's a quad core as opposed to dual core with the UDR. I am tossing up to go down the UDM route as you mentioned with business grade equipment. Or upgrade to the AX86u over my ac68u. Currently on 1000/50 internet.

Also consider the GT-AX6000 too.

Also consider the GT-AX6000 too.
I just have no idea what way to go... I like the Ubiquiti interface but then I have questions as to whether the UDM will have same/similar wifi coverage to the ac68u.

I just want to spend the money and get a good upgrade over this router. What does the AX6000 offer over the AX86U in that regard then?

Good to know..
In saying that, by the looks of it the GT AX6000 is it not currently supported by Merlin? That's a huge caveat going down that path. Or did I miss that somewhere??

I wonder if this forum is biased towards asus routers? Given it's the forum for asuswrt-merlin. Maybe it would be good to check reddit/google for anyone finding this thread.

I wonder if this forum is biased towards asus routers? Given it's the forum for asuswrt-merlin. Maybe it would be good to check reddit/google for anyone finding this thread.

But you're grave digging a thread that died 7 months ago.

Last edited: