What's new

Ubiquiti Launches Multi-AP Consumer Wi-Fi System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Updated - Ubiquiti Networks has decided the challenges of battling for market share in the enterprise Wi-Fi space aren't enough. Today, it announced the creation of its "consumer electronics innovation laboratory" Ubiquiti Labs and launched its AmpliFi Wi-Fi system.
ubnt_amplifi_product.jpg
AmpliFi combines an AC1200 AC1750 class router and two Wi-Fi extenders into a "plug-and-play" three AP system. Ubiquiti has eschewed wireless mesh and stuck with tried-and-true wireless extender technology for AmpliFi. But the company has made things a bit more interesting by creating three flavors of its wall-plugged adapters.
ubnt_amplifi_extender.jpg
The Standard, LR and HD kits come in at $199. $299 and $349, respectively. But only the HD model gets you a system that completely supports 802.11ac. The other two have N300 class (2x2) 802.11abgn dual-band radios, with the LR version getting a 2 dBm transmit power tweak.

The router sports a color touchscreen that shows a clock or "speed" as shown in the product photo below. The single WAN and four switched LAN ports are all Gigabit Ethernet and there's also a USB port of unspecified speed and function. Setup and management is via Android or iOS app and requires a phone or tablet with Bluetooth. Ubiquiti says it also plans to add browser-based management, but didn't say when.
ubnt_amplifi_router.jpg
You can pre-order all three versions now on the AmpliFi website, for shipment sometime this summer.

Wi-Fi systems seem to be this year's ploy to get consumers weary of flaky wireless to try yet another this-time-for-sure solution to cure their Wi-Fi woes. eero started shipping its "mesh" wireless system back in February and competitor Luma plans to ship theirs come June.

Qualcomm also announced its Wi-Fi SON (Self-Organizing Network) system at CES 2016 that it supposed to automatically configure and manage multi-AP systems. D-Link also announced the first SON-based product, the DKT-891 Unified Home Wi-Fi Network Kit with Adaptive Roaming.

We're glad to see consumer networking companies depart from the big honkin' router approach they've driven to extremes in pursuit of slapping the biggest number on the box. With the future of Wi-Fi depending more on the 5 GHz band, Wi-Fi product makers are finally creating the multiple access point systems needed to handle home networks that typically now support dozens of Wi-Fi devices. The company that figures out how to bring enterprise-grade Wi-Fi to homes and make it self-managed stands to make a lot of money.

Last edited:
We're glad to see consumer networking companies depart from the big honkin' router approach they've driven to extremes in pursuit of slapping the biggest number on the box. With the future of Wi-Fi depending more on the 5 GHz band, Wi-Fi product makers are finally creating the multiple access point systems needed to handle home networks that typically now support dozens of Wi-Fi devices. The company that figures out how to bring enterprise-grade Wi-Fi to homes and make it self-managed stands to make a lot of money.

If Google is serious in creating an ecosystem around their OnHub, they should consider creating companion wifi extenders that would go with it. I'm sure they could provide with a better integrated solution than the usual wifi router manufacturers who seem to threat their repeaters as totally separate products, with their own (sometimes complex) configuration.

I have so many questions that their fancy website doesn't answer. Does it do automatic power management? Does it support 802.11k/r/v?

If Google is serious in creating an ecosystem around their OnHub, they should consider creating companion wifi extenders that would go with it. I'm sure they could provide with a better integrated solution than the usual wifi router manufacturers who seem to threat their repeaters as totally separate products, with their own (sometimes complex) configuration.
So far, neither of Google OnHub OEM partners have indicated interest in multi-AP solutions
I have so many questions that their fancy website doesn't answer. Does it do automatic power management? Does it support 802.11k/r/v?
No to both. 802.11k support is planned for a future update.
It will support band-steering and "router-steering.

the repeaters are an issue as they plug into power points which are almost always 6 inch's from the floor

plus only the HD repeaters are wireless AC

this may appeal to the ascetically sensitive user but if the repeaters run like most other repeaters the issues with using repeaters would put me of to start with

if the 26dbm hd base station cant cover what you need its prob time to look at alternative ways of getting the transmission to where its needed , i just dont think power point mounted repeaters are it

ubiquiti could also do something about that web site design

https://www.amplifi.com/explore.html

white on white on white , cant almost see the repeaters as you scroll down , a bit of contrast would help lol

Last edited:
Couple questions
  • Wouldn't this be classified as an AC1750 (1300 5Ghz + 450 2.4Ghz?
  • Will their design boost the extender to greater than the ~50%

It looks nice, sharp and have a smart design, probably delivers also of what is said. Interesting solution that more manufacturers should likely jump on to.

You're right the router is not AC1200. It's either AC1600 or AC1750. Spec sheet seems to have changed since yesterday. I'm clarifying with Ubiquiti and will update the post.

Extenders can do a decent job in extending range for many users, especially now with the higher bandwidth AC provides. A lot depends on how the backhaul is managed. The FAQ says the extenders use 5 GHz by default. I wouldn't be too concerned about the wall-plugged placement seriously affecting range.

There also seems to be a difference in the specs depending on where you pick them from the Amplifi web site (example then screenshot above only shows 802.11ac on the HD model... yet the datasheet from their docs indicate that all are 802.11ac
upload_2016-5-10_9-52-41.png

It will all center on two things:
1) Ease of use when it comes to the software and setup
2) Glitch-free connectivity

Consumers want "enough" wireless speed for their half a dozen devices (i.e., a 1080p video stream from the DVR, Jane's tablet, Bob's laptop, Suzi's phone), not all at peak at the same time, but consistent without issues where the connection drops, or lags slower than their actual Internet connection. Ubiquiti has shown their wireless devices can have speed. If they can ensure the other two factors above --at release time (since consumers tend to get frustrated more quickly compared to those of us who have some tech background and are more willingly to troubleshoot) then they have a winner.

Their Gen2 APs are waiting on 802.11k/r support too. It doesn't affect me at home, as one UAP-AC-PRO supports my whole house, but it would be nice to see this feature in the next six months for business.

wow ubiquiti are on the sales pitch with this unit its all over my news feeds and google news etc

strange that they have chosen to use a micro - usb type power connection

from the faq

Can I use third-party micro-USB chargers for the router?

No, a third-party micro-USB charger can be damaged or provide insufficient power (leading to random restarts) because the AmpliFi router requires more power than a typical micro-USB charger can support. The AmpliFi micro-USB charger is designed to power the AmpliFi router; however, you can use the AmpliFi micro-USB charger to charge a smartphone or tablet.

can see that causing a few issues for them

This makes the Star Destroyer I just bought yesterday (AC3100) look silly.

Looks like home networking is about to the the "Nest" treatment (yay). That website just oozes the Apple aesthetic (vomit).

I have not been in the market for these for a while - are the prices they asking for even sane? why would any 'power user' be interested in paying this for router + 2 AP?

Also, who is the target market and what is the target use case for these? Media consumption on mobile devices?

my experiences in the same use case of media consumption is that people
- hard wire (gigabit has been standard for a while)
- get a good console device (or many of them), PS4, XBone, Nvidia Shield ,etc
- set it in a way to maximize experience (4K TV, 5.1/7.1 sounds from their favorite steaming apps and from local media experience)

where would Uniquiti fit in for such picture?

Last edited:
I have not been in the market for these for a while - are the prices they asking for even sane? why would any 'power user' be interested in paying this for router + 2 AP?

Also, who is the target market and what is the target use case for these? Media consumption on mobile devices?

my experiences in the same use case of media consumption is that people
- hard wire (gigabit has been standard for a while)
- get a good console device (or many of them), PS4, XBone, Nvidia Shield ,etc
- set it in a way to maximize experience (4K TV, 5.1/7.1 sounds from their favorite steaming apps and from local media experience)

where would Uniquiti fit in for such picture?

Of course these prices are not sane. As for a power user considering one for themselves? Not a knowledgably one.

Target market is for uninformed consumers (defined as 'insane' by default for parting with their money on faith).

This product from Uniquiti doesn't fit at all in any user scenario I can imagine.

The market has shown it will pay $300 for a single high-end router. So Ubiquiti's pricing is pretty good for a three AP setup.

People are increasingly consuming media on mobile devices. The Ethernet-connected console is becoming less important to the mass market.

Ubiquiti confirmed the router is AC1750 class. Story corrected.

The market has shown it will pay $300 for a single high-end router. So Ubiquiti's pricing is pretty good for a three AP setup.

People are increasingly consuming media on mobile devices. The Ethernet-connected console is becoming less important to the mass market.

This is far from a high end router though (except for how pretty it looks).

High end means configurable, not locked down. Requires a phone or tablet with Bluetooth to configure? Are we ten years old?

Touch screen on a router that shows the time (or some version of the speed)? Maybe this is high end for somebody in the world. Far from actually being one though.

High end means configurable, not locked down. Requires a phone or tablet with Bluetooth to configure? Are we ten years old?
Let me rephrase. Sales data has shown consumers will pay $300 for a router that is advertised as providing higher performance (speed, range).

Most consumers do not buy expensive routers to get more features or knobs to twiddle. They buy them because their Wi-Fi sucks and they are willing to throw (a lot) of money at solving the problem.

Multi AP architectures are the proper answer to solving more reliable Wi-Fi. You know this given the business you're in.

The key is making multi-AP systems "self-driving". Most consumers don't want to have to learn to be a wireless expert. The expertise needs to be built into the system.

Management via app will become more common. More people have smartphones than desktop computers. Might as well take advantage of them. There are advantages and disadvantages. But it's the trend. There are better things to do with router compute resources than run an admin GUI.

Let me rephrase. Sales data has shown consumers will pay $300 for a router that is advertised as providing higher performance (speed, range).

Most consumers do not buy expensive routers to get more features or knobs to twiddle. They buy them because their Wi-Fi sucks and they are willing to throw (a lot) of money at solving the problem.

Multi AP architectures are the proper answer to solving more reliable Wi-Fi. You know this given the business you're in.

The key is making multi-AP systems "self-driving". Most consumers don't want to have to learn to be a wireless expert. The expertise needs to be built into the system.

Management via app will become more common. More people have smartphones than desktop computers. Might as well take advantage of them. There are advantages and disadvantages. But it's the trend. There are better things to do with router compute resources than run an admin GUI.

Your points are excellent and I'm sure reflect the reality as the manufacturers would like it to be.

They don't budge me from my position one bit though because we can debate each point into infinity and beyond. (Truce!).

When I was very young, I was taught to only use words I understood.

As I became an adult, that morphed into buying things I understood (to varying degrees) of how they worked.

Consumers buying things they don't understand how to use or at least getting help with them is baffling to me. Keeping up with the jones', I guess?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!