What's new

Solved Ublock Origin: Weird custom Filter entries?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wallace_n_Gromit

When I go to the Ublock Origin extension on my various desktop/laptop windows computers/browsers; I noticed that on 2 of those computers, when I click on the [Settings] cog then [Filter lists] scroll down the list to [+Custom]; I see 2 custom entries I don't recall (my memory is bad anyway) adding. (I don't even remember knowing that I could add custom entries)

Has anyone used these two "block lists" before?

When I use a browser then go to the first site "...cedia.org.ec..." I get the "404 Not Found".

Add: I see that the top level domain for *.ec is equador.

When I use a browser then go to the second site "...gitcdn.xyz..." I get a block list of domains prefaced with:

[Nano Adblocker]
! Title: Malware Domain List
! Expires: 5 days
! Cached: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 02:31:43 GMT
! License: http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/
! Source: https://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt

When I go to the Source URL "...malwaredomainlist.co..." Firefox pops up with the following message:

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to www.malwaredomainlist.com. The website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Something to be worried about? ...or did I probably add these months/years ago, for whatever reason and just don't remember. One site is now down, and the other/list seems legit but outdated/out of business.

Last edited:
When I go to the Ublock Origin extension on (only) two of my windows computers/browsers; and on those computers click on the [Settings] cog then [Filter lists] scroll down the list to [+Custom] I see 2 custom entries I don't recall (my memory is bad anyway) adding. (I don't even remember knowing that I could add custom entries)

When I use a browser then go to the first site "...cedia.org.ec..." I get the "404 Not Found".

When I use a browser then go to the second site "...gitcdn.xyz..." I get a block list of domains prefaced with:

When I go to the Source URL "...malwaredomainlist.co..." Firefox pops up with the following message:

Something to be worried about?
My custom entries are empty.

I had these two lists as well. Both were enabled but there were no entries being used. Must just be old lists. They are gone now...

I had these two lists as well. Both were enabled but there were no entries being used. Must just be old lists. They are gone now...
Nice to know that someone else had these particular block lists in their custom filter list. Must have been legacy/forgotten lists that uBlock Origin originally installed/enabled, perhaps? Hope so!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!