What's new

UBNT EdgeRouter 12

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trip

Very Senior Member
For those who follow UBNT EdgeRouters and have been hoping for an ER-4/6P with a dedicated switch chip and more ports, the ER-12 will be coming out soon. UBNT website price: $195 USD. Here's the initial info from the early-access page, plus photos:

The EdgeRouter 12 is a high-performance Gigabit Router with PoE flexibility. With increased performance over the previous generation of routers, the EdgeRouter 12 delivers up to 3.4 million pps for 64-byte packets. Ten Gigabit Ethernet ports offer copper connectivity, while two SFP ports offer fiber connectivity. The EdgeRouter 12 supports Layer-2 switching and scalable configuration using EdgeOS or the Ubiquiti Network Management System (UNMS).

* Initial EdgeRouter 12 units will ship with alpha firmware that is not yet feature-complete. Updated firmware will be released in the near future.

ER-12_Front_Angle_1024x1024.png ER-12_Top_Angle_1024x1024.png ER-12_Front_1024x1024.png ER-12_Back_1024x1024.png ER-12_Side_1024x1024.png

Last edited:
$195 for ER-12 would be a steal (if Edgemax firmware could start to improve..).

Is the price real...? I saw ER-4 is around the same price online.

Is the price real...? I saw ER-4 is around the same price online.
er-12.png

No photoshop, I swear. :eek:

And regarding firmware, yes. More CLI/GUI feature parity would be nice, among a whole host of other things. But they're getting there, albeit slowly...

LoL

btw, did anyone tell you that Tilera CPU being used in Microtik has been dropped by mainline Linux kernel?
mentioned many times. keyword, mainline, so it can be supported on the side. The reason why it was dropped by mainline was that there was no company supporting it nor a need so any support would be on the sideline.

when i asked will it blend, i didnt mean that edgerouters are bad, mikrotik routers are great, i meant will it work well for all networks? Because there hasnt been many extensive reviews.

when i asked will it blend, i didnt mean that edgerouters are bad, mikrotik routers are great, i meant will it work well for all networks? Because there hasnt been many extensive reviews.
I don't know of any router that will work for all networks.
Thats why Cisco, Juniper, and yes . . . even Mikrotik make multiple models.

LoL

btw, did anyone tell you that Tilera CPU being used in Microtik has been dropped by mainline Linux kernel?

FWIW - Tilera was good enough that EzChip bought them up - and then they (EzChip) was bought by Mellanox...

The idea of many cores in a mesh is still alive - it's shifted from the proprietary Tilera cores (being somewhat MIPS like) over to ARM, and that chip is still alive in big iron switches and routers.

FWIW - Tilera was good enough that EzChip bought them up - and then they (EzChip) was bought by Mellanox...

The idea of many cores in a mesh is still alive - it's shifted from the proprietary Tilera cores (being somewhat MIPS like) over to ARM, and that chip is still alive in big iron switches and routers.
the manycore and mesh is still much alive in many architectures, intel's GPU attempt is one which is now available as a xeon CPU which can be run as a standalone or mixed with a regular xeon CPU in a multi socket board. Even the MIPS used in the new edgerouter is a manycore as well but ubiquiti uses the lowest end of it (16 cores rather than the 64 core available version) at best.