What's new

Ubuntu 9.04 server Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf smbd only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mamexp

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone find a solution to this? This is the issue with fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 server.

From the installation, i choose Samba and SSH only. As soon as i logged in the keep getting this msg every 5 mins or so. When i do it seems my networking interfaces are being reset....

My static ip doesnt work after the msg appears. I set static ip in /etc/network/interfaces to 192.168.1.5

However after the Reloading /etc/samba/smb.conf smbd only appears, i got ip of 192.168.1.100

Further investigation shows a relation between dhcpclient request and smbd reloading. They both happen at the same time.

Any solution? i'm starting to loose faith with ubuntu releases.

I find a get around

... by killing dcphclient process, this stops smbd from reloading...

But this is not a solution. Any ideas?

I noticed few ppl here have installed and used Ubuntu 9.04 server for their NASes. However no one ever encountered this problem?

do you have dual network cards in that machine? For a server, the ip should be static and not dhcp which doesn't really solve the issue. The real issue is that it outputs to the command prompt instead of a log file. I'll try a fresh install and see if I get that problem. I was actually waiting for 9.10 before playing with it...

the problem was noted on the ubuntu forums here

do you have dual network cards in that machine? For a server, the ip should be static and not dhcp which doesn't really solve the issue. The real issue is that it outputs to the command prompt instead of a log file. I'll try a fresh install and see if I get that problem. I was actually waiting for 9.10 before playing with it...

the problem was noted on the ubuntu forums here

I do have dual NICs. However Ubuntu only see 1 (altho at the installation i can see 2 NICs which i chose one to use as default). At least in my /etc/networking/interfaces there are only l0 and eth0.

so far killing dhcpclient has stopped the smbd reloading. When i got the reloading msg its also restarting my networking interfaces.... hence my ip changed from static 192.168.1.5 to 192.168.1.100. So far my IP has been staying the same as smbd does not reload anymore. ....

This is a bandage fix, not a solution. I think its pretty much a bug with 9.04 server. It didnt happen with the Desktop edition when i tried it.

I didn't get a chance to play with it yet. Had to rebuild my mame box for the July 4th party. You could try installing the desktop edition, then removing the desktop part... or copy the configs from the desktop version. i think i read 9.10 has it fixed, but that's still alpha... i think i may have been playing with that...

You should be able to just disable the dhcp service. I thought it asks you when you are setting up Ubuntu Server if you want to use DHCP. I would recommend using Ubuntu Server 8.04 if you are having any problems. This version will be supported for quiet some time and I imagine has had many problems fixed by now.

On a side note the behavior you are seeing might be by design. I don't know for sure but by default Ubuntu Server might setup Samba to reload the smb.conf file every 5 minutes. My guess would be that this is to ensure any changes to the smb.conf file automatically take effect within 5 minutes. This is just a guess. Also by default DHCP is most likely enabled so even if you make the change in the "interfaces" file the system still might be set to use DHCP. This should not be too difficult to disable. I am not exactly sure as it has been a while since I loaded up Ubuntu Server.

Let me know if you get it figured out. If not I might be able to check this out on one of my computer here at home.

00Roush