What's new

Ubuntu Nas--- Raid array lost after adding extra HDs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mamexp

Occasional Visitor
I'm a newbie at this so please be patient with me.

I just setup a nas using ubuntu server edition and follow closely to the Atom Ubuntu nas article on the front page.

Everything is up and working as i wanted. Untill today when i added another drive to my nas box. The ubuntu auto recognized the drive and assigned the device id and thus messed up all my mounts. My Raid0 array used to contain sda1 and sdb1, but now the new drive got assigned to be sda so my array is broken....

How do i fix this? what should i do in the future so the device id wont change if i add a drive? (if thats even possible).

Thanks

What guide did you follow to create your RAID array? If you had data, you can try removing the new drive and booting up w/the original setup. That might allow you to back up any data you have.

Linux assigns drives based on port location and the order that it sees the drive. So on your motherboard/raid controller, sata port 1,2,3,4 will be sda,b,c,d. If you add a drive, you want to add drives sequentially. So start with your drives on port 1 and 2, then add drives to port 3 and 4. This can be problematic with add on controllers because they the card may get recognized at a different time, ie boot card, then on board, instead of on board, then add on card.

If there is nothing important and you have some time, you can redo the raid and use it as a learning experience. I rebuilt/reinstalled linux several times when I first started...

also, can you type the folowing in and post the results:

to show the array status:
cat /proc/mdstat

and to show the array details for raid array md0 or whatever number your array is
mdadm --detail /dev/md0

If you're interested in learning more about Ubuntu, then read up here and you can also do some googling for "ubuntu raid mdadm" and possibly "lvm".