What's new

Ubuquiti switches on VLAN other than default

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

restockton

New Around Here
I've been doing home and small office networks for years, but now I'm venturing into larger (but not enterprise) networks at work. I have a new Ubiquiti network I'm trying to set up to replace an existing network for one of our offices. To keep things simple (or so I thought) I'm trying to set up the new network as closely as possible to how the old network was set up. I know that Ubiquiti likes to keep all your network gear (switches, AP's, routers, etc) management IP's in the default VLAN (192.168.1.0/24. For this network I have a Ubiquiti Next Gen Gateway Pro for the firewall, and a Cloudkey Gen2 Plus for the controller. I have 11 Switch pro 24 and 48 port switches. I have created a new VLAN 50 for the network management IP's. This VLAN is 10.81.5.0/24 and just because the other network is set this way, the gateway is set at 10.81.5.100. All my firmware and network app, and Ubuquiti OS is all at the latest version since this is all new. If I try to put one of my switches management IP in that new VLAN, my Cloudkey can no longer communicate with it. Even though inter-VLAN routing rules are in place and all VLANs should be able to talk to each other at this point. Is there some way to be able to move all my network management IP's to this new VLAN without losing connection to them? I'm not sure why the Cloudkey can't talk to the switch I put in the new VLAN when the firewall rules are set by default to allow all the VLANs to communicate. Any assistance would be appreciated. I know Ubiquiti is a little strange in some ways they do things, so was hoping someone else has run into this before. Please let me know if you need any further info from my configuration.

Thank you,

I've been doing home and small office networks for years, but now I'm venturing into larger (but not enterprise) networks at work. I have a new Ubiquiti network I'm trying to set up to replace an existing network for one of our offices. To keep things simple (or so I thought) I'm trying to set up the new network as closely as possible to how the old network was set up. I know that Ubiquiti likes to keep all your network gear (switches, AP's, routers, etc) management IP's in the default VLAN (192.168.1.0/24. For this network I have a Ubiquiti Next Gen Gateway Pro for the firewall, and a Cloudkey Gen2 Plus for the controller. I have 11 Switch pro 24 and 48 port switches. I have created a new VLAN 50 for the network management IP's. This VLAN is 10.81.5.0/24 and just because the other network is set this way, the gateway is set at 10.81.5.100. All my firmware and network app, and Ubuquiti OS is all at the latest version since this is all new. If I try to put one of my switches management IP in that new VLAN, my Cloudkey can no longer communicate with it. Even though inter-VLAN routing rules are in place and all VLANs should be able to talk to each other at this point. Is there some way to be able to move all my network management IP's to this new VLAN without losing connection to them? I'm not sure why the Cloudkey can't talk to the switch I put in the new VLAN when the firewall rules are set by default to allow all the VLANs to communicate. Any assistance would be appreciated. I know Ubiquiti is a little strange in some ways they do things, so was hoping someone else has run into this before. Please let me know if you need any further info from my configuration.

Thank you,

Probably better suited to ask this in Ubiquiti's forum. I know I ran my APs in a custom VLAN for management but that was using on prem, not cloud key. There may be some limitation or special config needed for that to work. In the "default" network is there a place for you to specify the VLAN ID? Can the switch communicate out to anything (ping DNS etc)?

Sorry, I'm new here so I didn't realize there was a Ubiquiti forum. Thank you. I think I found a workaround anyway, so I think I'm gonna see if this works and may not need any more help.

Sorry, I'm new here so I didn't realize there was a Ubiquiti forum. Thank you. I think I found a workaround anyway, so I think I'm gonna see if this works and may not need any more help.

Not here, I mean on ubiquiti's support site.

The Ubiquiti Community Web Site is UI.com
this allows post similar to this forum and the people seem to know what they are doing, so should be able to help

I have to say that my Ubiquity UDM Pro SE with 3 U6 access points has been the most stable platform, I have had since my 2013 RT AC86U router which worked in my home at the time.
The system has been up 90+ days since a power outage, with solid wifi performance throughout my home

I am glad to say I bought the system before reading some posts on the UI community web site

@oldguy, I don't think you mean the RT-AC86U (from 2013)? I believe you mean the RT-AC68U.

@oldguy, I don't think you mean the RT-AC86U (from 2013)? I believe you mean the RT-AC68U.
You are absolutely correct I am a little dyslectic, I might also add that it still works just fine in my sons home, and is no worse than the expensive TP link router that died after 6 months