What's new

UDP Multicast (Minecraft LAN games) to wifi-devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tarald Røste

New Around Here
Hi fellow geeks,

Can you help me to let my wifi-clients "see" advertised Minecraft games on my LAN?

The problem: PCs connected via ethernet to my Asus ac66u can see and connect to each others Minecraft sessions just fine. However, PCs connected via wi-fi cannot see any games advertised. The wi-fi clients can join the game if I enter the IP and port under "direct connect", and they can host games which are then visible from the wired LAN-side. The only issue is that from a wi-fi client the available games cannot be seen.

I've learned that once you open a Minecraft game to LAN, it advertises this as an UDP mulitcast message:
"On the technical side, a Minecraft client with an opened LAN game sends a UDP multicast to the local address 224.0.2.60:4445 every 1.5 seconds. Other clients then listen for this multicast to show your game in their multiplayer menu." Source: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_LAN_world

A little googling has had me play with the "Enable IGMP Snooping", "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)" and "Optimized for Xbox" settings, but with no luck. I've also read about Avahi, and learned that it can function as a "router" for these multicast-messages, but can't find instructions.

Is there a simple solution here? Or any tips?

have you got isolation enabled on wifi, unless something's blocking it it should show up automatically.

Last edited:
have you got isolation enabled on wifi, unless something's blocking it it should show up automatically.

No, it has been disabled.

Wi-fi devices can communicate with LAN devices for most purposes, and see other services offered by other wi-fi devices. For example, I can see and cast to my Chromecast from my phone (both devices on wifi).

And as I said, the wi-fi PC can connect to the game-client, it just can't see it. Ie, the host has to tell the player on the wi-fi PC what the IP and port number is, and the other player has to enter these manually. This does not work well for the kids.

It seems to be just the multicast which does not work.

Did you check windows firewall, hag on I understand what you mean, normally mine craft detects the server, as being on lan but in this case its not.

Last edited:
The wi-fi machine is a Mac, and has it's firewall disabled. If I move this machine, and connect it with ethernet, it works.

How is everything connected is it all direct to the router? and which router model?

are there any devices in between like switches or access points, also which firmware version re you running?

Yes, you're right, this may affect things.

The LAN PCs are connected to a simple switch (ZYXEL GS1100-16), which is again connected to the Asus ac66u router. The router is running John's fork of the Merlinwrt, configured as router for both wired and wireless local network. So I'm not actually sure that the multicast messages would work on the lan-side of the router, as I assume they're simply going directly through the switch.

I'll have to investigate a bit during the weekend, try to connect one of the LAN PCs directly to the Asus router.

Thanks for your help so far!

your welcome, I play Minecraft my self, I have a friend who loves it who got me into it, also is it possible to by pass the switch, to see if that works?

I'm running a nighthawk s8000 switch between my pcs and my 88u, well tbh my personal set up is more complex than yours lol.

hows it going so far, I know that windows has fire wall zones I'm not familiar with macs, if it has fire wall zones its worth checking.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!