What's new

UDP performance issues with 386_9 and also 386_7.2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sugarzulu79

New Around Here
After many years of rock solid operation I upgraded the firmware on my RT-AC3100 from 380.69 to 386.7.2 - big jump, I know.

After upgrade, I instantly noticed that my Teradici PC-over-IP performance has degraded to a very sluggish, almost non-interactive state when my desktop is connected to my router via Wi-Fi (5G)
(I use Teradici PCOIP to connect to work when I'm WFH. The Teradici server at work is configured to use port 4172/UDP for incoming connections - via a connection broker after authentication. The client software on my side uses a high (>50000) port.)

I disabled Wi-Fi and hooked up my computer via a wired connection. The problem was gone. I reconnected to the router with Wi-Fi, the problem came back.

2-3 days ago I upgraded to 386.9 hoping that it's just an issue with 386.7.2 but the problem persisted.

Today, I finally downgraded back to 380.69, and the problem has again gone away.

I have perfect Wi-Fi reception with the router being 2ms away and have a 300/300Mbps link to it (also confirmed via Speedtest.net which was 300/100Mbps due to my ISP uplink being 100Mbps)

I realize that it's a big step from 380.x to 386.x, but would anyone be able to assist in how to troubleshoot? Who would I even report this issue to?

Would it help if I did an interim 384.x FW upgrade?

Thanks!

Did you reset the router to factory defaults after firmware upgrade with manual configuration after? 380.69 is 5 years old firmware missing a ton of security updates - not recommended to use in 2023. Your entire network is not well protected with router running such an old firmware.

I did reset to factory settings after each FW update. I dont have custom settings on the router so it was easy to reconfigure. I realize that 380.x is old but I am a "if it aint broke, dont fix" type of guy. I do want to switch to 386.x but this regression keeps me on 380.x for the time being.

Perhaps there are one or more intermediate levels of firmware which need to be worked through rather than taking a giant step and skipping them.

I do want to switch to 386.x but this regression keeps me on 380.x for the time being.

I don't know what your application requires, but I wouldn't risk my entire network security because of one software. I would rather use newer firmware and look for alternatives to this software. This 5-years old firmware is perhaps "broken" long time ago with well known exploits.

After many years of rock solid operation I upgraded the firmware on my RT-AC3100 from 380.69 to 386.7.2 - big jump, I know.

After upgrade, I instantly noticed that my Teradici PC-over-IP performance has degraded to a very sluggish, almost non-interactive state when my desktop is connected to my router via Wi-Fi (5G)
(I use Teradici PCOIP to connect to work when I'm WFH. The Teradici server at work is configured to use port 4172/UDP for incoming connections - via a connection broker after authentication. The client software on my side uses a high (>50000) port.)

I disabled Wi-Fi and hooked up my computer via a wired connection. The problem was gone. I reconnected to the router with Wi-Fi, the problem came back.

2-3 days ago I upgraded to 386.9 hoping that it's just an issue with 386.7.2 but the problem persisted.

Today, I finally downgraded back to 380.69, and the problem has again gone away.

I have perfect Wi-Fi reception with the router being 2ms away and have a 300/300Mbps link to it (also confirmed via Speedtest.net which was 300/100Mbps due to my ISP uplink being 100Mbps)

I realize that it's a big step from 380.x to 386.x, but would anyone be able to assist in how to troubleshoot? Who would I even report this issue to?

Would it help if I did an interim 384.x FW upgrade?

Thanks!

I don't think that old firmware had airtime fairness. Go into wireless advanced settings and disable it on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz (if it is enabled, not positive what the default is). Also disable TX bursting if that is enabled, I've seen that impact UDP traffic.

Is your desktop N or AC? If AC, disabling universal beamforming might help. Heck even if N it might help, it wasn't a very good technology. Explicit (802.11ac) beamforming can be left enabled.

Actually before re-upgrading, take screen shots of your wireless settings (basic and advanced, both 2.4 and 5ghz) on the old firmware so you can compare what has changed, new options to adjust, etc. Likely one of those is the culprit.

Also, don't forget to 'forget' your network SSID from the affected device, so you have to re-associate. Sometime the client caches learned or discovered radio capabilities that have changed.
Agree with others too - Airtime Fairness - DISABLE. Universal Beamforming - DISABLE. Fixed channels. 2.4Ghz 20MHZ only, 5Ghz, 20/40/80.

Good luck, YMMV.

Also, don't forget to 'forget' your network SSID from the affected device, so you have to re-associate. Sometime the client caches learned or discovered radio capabilities that have changed.
Agree with others too - Airtime Fairness - DISABLE. Universal Beamforming - DISABLE. Fixed channels. 2.4Ghz 20MHZ only, 5Ghz, 20/40/80.

Good luck, YMMV.

I've never heard of a client caching radio capabilities, in that case using multiple APs (that aren't identical) with the same SSID would be an issue constantly. The only time I've had to forget a network was when changing the authentication method or password. But it certainly can't hurt.

Just to update the thread:
I tried all suggestions but no matter what I did, the old performance just wasn't there..

I ended up doing a cable drop between the floors so I now have a wired connection to my workstation. The Teradici PCoIP issues are gone.

Thanks to all who responded!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!