What's new

UK Vodafone Router / Modem advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Moseph

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I live in the UK and currently have Virgin Media 200mb internet. I get roughly 200mb download and 20mb upload speeds.
I am using my virgin media as modem only mode which is easy to set up using the modems normal interface, connected to my Asus rt ac68 by RJ45 cable which is acting as the router.

I then have another Asus rt ac68 on the first floor connected wirelessly as a media bridge for which i connect devices to via RJ45 cable.

My question is this:

I am switching my internet to Vodafone UK as they have new gigafast cables in my street, so I can get up to 1gb upload and download now. (I think we will go for 500mb download / upload).

However I have read that the Vodafone router that they supply (I think its called RT-AC3200 ) is not possible to set it as modem only mode.
I don't mind buying a replacement modem but I am just worried that using non ISP devices as a modem would negatively impact the reliability and stability of the internet connection. I like that with Virgin it is the ISP router that has the setting so no need to mess around with networking settings that I have no idea about.
Searching forums I have read that I need to buy a new modem and get my username and password from Vodafone and insert it in there and set something up on the WAN section of my asus settings.
Does the modem I get matter, as much as how the router I have matters?
I read that I should get Huawei HG612 V3b or Draytek Vigor 130 and connect my asus to that. This was not on expert forums such as this so not too sure.
Maybe someone else here who has vodafone broadband can advise?

I also just seen this on the Vodafone website: https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Broa...use-my-own-router-with-Vodafone-broadband.htm
"
Calls over the internet (VoIP)
If you choose to use your own router with our Gigafast service, you can't use apps such as Skype, WhatsApp or Facetime to make calls over the internet - Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP)."

does that mean I won't be able to use skype or facetime or whatsapp video / audio calling if I change my vodafone router?

Thanks again!

Last edited: