What's new

unable to access NAS (VPN client protected) when connected via OpenVPN Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSpock

Hi all,
running 384.13_8 on my RT-AC87U.
One of my NAS is connected/protected via OpenVPN client 2. So far so good.

When I remotely connect via the OpenVPN Server 1 (TUN), I cannot access this NAS system via its local IP address (static one).

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
GS

Check the firewall settings on the NAS. It will need to be set to allow access from 10.8.0.0/24 (the VPN server's default network).

You could also try turning off all VPN clients on the router to determine whether that is the cause of the problem.

Is the NAS the only device that you cannot reach via the VPN? What about other devices on the LAN?

Check the firewall settings on the NAS. It will need to be set to allow access from 10.8.0.0/24 (the VPN server's default network).

You could also try turning off all VPN clients on the router to determine whether that is the cause of the problem.

Is the NAS the only device that you cannot reach via the VPN? What about other devices on the LAN?

Thanks,
There is no firewall on the NAS itself.
and indeed when I remove the NAS from the VPN client, it works OK .... this NAS is the only system behind the VPN client and I can reach all others LAN devices when connected via the OpenVPN Server 1.
Rgds,
GS

Are you running policy rules strict? If so try the non strict version - strict likely doesn't include the relevant route for your vpn server in the VPN client table

Are you running policy rules strict? If so try the non strict version - strict likely doesn't include the relevant route for your vpn server in the VPN client table

Thanks.
Yes, parameter is to "Policy Rules Strict"
when I change it to "Policy Rules" ... it works ! (many thanks for this Jack Yaz) but to be honest I do not understand the difference between the 2 .... is it causing potential security issues ?

GS.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!