What's new

Unable to access router from PC (ethernet) but no problem from phone (wi-fi)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a switch connected.

All your wired devices must be connected to the router's LAN ports. Otherwise they'll get IP/DNS from the router upstream. You have to check your connections again. More LAN ports can be added with a switch, but this switch has to be connected to the router as well.

Ok guys, thank you. I could solve the problem but that required me to get rid of the switch, excluding a second cable connection to my plastation. However I find it very puzzling that this has been the way it was connected since very long ago and I have never ever had any issue in accessing the router from the pc before the last factory reset. Getting rid of the switch means that now I cannot have more things connected via LAN than the TV. Should I wish to connect the playstation again via ethernet, how could I do so without putting the switch back?

I am attaching two screenshots (one before and one after getting rid of the switch showing (I hope) what I mean.

As a clarification: it is required for us to have a wifi router. The router (no wifi) that I am mentioning in my screenshot is unable to provide internet to more than 1 "socket". I have 2 sockets i each room from which I can basically decide where the internet should come from, so to connect a wifi router (such as my Asus) and provide wifi to the whole apartment. The reason why I needed a Switch is because my PC cannot connect wifi, obliging me to have the router in the same room and connect it to the PC via ethernet. This entails that the wifi signal is weak in the living room, where my tv and the playstations are located. By using the siwitch I could provide internet via LAN to the tv and the playstation too.

I hope it helps, I am very sorry for the poor drawing and the explanation. As I mentioned I am not very expert and with english not being my first language the difficulties multiply :)

Nevertheless, I am now able to access the router via the PC.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 23
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 23
Ok guys, thank you. I could solve the problem but that required me to get rid of the switch, excluding a second cable connection to my plastation. However I find it very puzzling that this has been the way it was connected since very long ago and I have never ever had any issue in accessing the router from the pc before the last factory reset. Getting rid of the switch means that now I cannot have more things connected via LAN than the TV. Should I wish to connect the playstation again via ethernet, how could I do so without putting the switch back?

I am attaching two screenshots (one before and one after getting rid of the switch showing (I hope) what I mean.

As a clarification: it is required for us to have a wifi router. The router (no wifi) that I am mentioning in my screenshot is unable to provide internet to more than 1 "socket". I have 2 sockets i each room from which I can basically decide where the internet should come from, so to connect a wifi router (such as my Asus) and provide wifi to the whole apartment. The reason why I needed a Switch is because my PC cannot connect wifi, obliging me to have the router in the same room and connect it to the PC via ethernet. This entails that the wifi signal is weak in the living room, where my tv and the playstations are located. By using the siwitch I could provide internet via LAN to the tv and the playstation too.

I hope it helps, I am very sorry for the poor drawing and the explanation. As I mentioned I am not very expert and with english not being my first language the difficulties multiply :)

Nevertheless, I am now able to access the router via the PC.
Your current setup is not a valid design so I'm not surprised you're having problems. It also doesn't explain why your PC is getting a public IP address. The only way I can think that might happen is if your "router (no wifi)" is not a router but a modem or it's a router in bridge/passthrough mode.

If your "router (no wifi)" is actually a router then the only way to have all the devices connected to each other would be to put the Asus into "AP mode" and have only one cable between it and the switch.

Your current setup is not a valid design so I'm not surprised you're having problems. It also doesn't explain why your PC is getting a public IP address. The only way I can think that might happen is if your "router (no wifi)" is not a router but a modem or it's a router in bridge/passthrough mode.

If your "router (no wifi)" is actually a router then the only way to have all the devices connected to each other would be to put the Asus into "AP mode" and have only one cable between it and the switch.

At the moment I have the design as per my second screenshot. I have taken away the switch and I am no longer experiencing issues. The "problem" is that until this morning I did not have any issue at all with accessing the router. Also, the setup I have currently is the "basic" setup provided in each apartment in the house where I live. At the moment, all seems correct, see the new values from command prompt:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.7
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.1

With regard to the "router" without wifi, you are right, I named this incorrectly. According to what I found online is more of a switch. It is used to provide phone, tv and internet connection to the flat. I do not know if it can help but I found an english manual online: https://www.storuman.se/globalassets/inteno-xg6846.pdf

So, based on this, do you guys have any idea on how I can provide a further cabled connection in my apartment? Where, in the setup I shown, I should put it?

Thank you again for your help.

What I would do is cheap $60 wired router like TP-Link ER605 where your current Switch is and your RT-AC65P in Access Point mode. This Asus router is End-Of-Life product and very basic. There is nothing much to lose on it as firmware features. It will work well as an Access Point and 4-port Switch though. The TP-Link ER605 becomes the Router and all your devices are connected to it wired and wireless. You can keep your existing Switch for more LAN ports if needed. Similar to TP-Link ER605 routers are Ubiquiti ER-X and MikroTik hEX. TP-Link router is usually available and the UI is more user friendly than the other similar options.

Internet ISP Device -> Wired Router (plus the existing Switch optional for more LAN ports) -> RT-AC65P as Access Point and 4-port Switch.

This setup will be good for speeds up to 940Mbps wired and up to about 500Mbps wireless to common 2-stream AC client. Low cost and easy to do.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!