What's new

Unable to aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
I have a ax88u main router in one corner of my house where all the feeds enter and a ac86u in AP mode set up in the opposite area further away about 14m with an ethernet back haul connected to the main. Upstairs I want to put an ac88u just for wifi extension it would be in a similar position to the main router but on the floor above. Well I can see the ac86u router in the ax88u but unable to aimesh it, and the ac88u when it's within 1 or 2m of the ax88u. I want to aimesh the ac88u from the main router but unable to connect would you have any advice or maybe for the individual routers modes more suited for AIMesh configuration. They all have static ip addresses and different band channels. Thank you.

Is WPS enabled when you attempt to connect a new AiMesh node? (You can (should) disable it afterward).

I have a ax88u main router in one corner of my house where all the feeds enter and a ac86u in AP mode set up in the opposite area further away about 14m with an ethernet back haul connected to the main. Upstairs I want to put an ac88u just for wifi extension it would be in a similar position to the main router but on the floor above. Well I can see the ac86u router in the ax88u but unable to aimesh it, and the ac88u when it's within 1 or 2m of the ax88u. I want to aimesh the ac88u from the main router but unable to connect would you have any advice or maybe for the individual routers modes more suited for AIMesh configuration. They all have static ip addresses and different band channels. Thank you.

Have you tried resetting the AC86U firmware and adding it as an AiMesh node to the AX88U router?

OE

Hi L&LD yes wps was enabled, why should it be disabled after connection established and I also noticed that when I go to the wps section on either band then there is a 'current frequency' section and it always says 2.4GHz whichever band I open up, does'nt or should'nt it read 5GHz at the times I open the 5GHz band section although I did specify 2.4 band when initially setting the reapeter up. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi OzarkEdge the reason I didn't change the ac86u to the aimesh node mode and also the ac88u as a aimesh node is I didn't know which was the best way to go as according to the ac86u f/w settings there is an Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode which I have used in the past but unable to set it up now as an aimesh node in the AiMesh section of the f/w as for some reason in the ax88u wouldn't recognise it therefore I kept it and setup the ac88u as a repeater only. I used the same ssid's and different channels on each router for the 2.4 and 5 bands for less interference. Setting the ac88u was a pain as I had to connect it to my pc as the primary router then use the wizard network login advanced section to put the necessary details in, then after setting it up I canged it to a repeater mode the put the original primary router back and then used the ac88u repeater on the second floor but I noticed the phones upstairs sometimes loose the connection and search both the bands again then lock onto either depending although I did specicify the 2.4 band in the initial setup for repeater mode.
Would you know which configuration would be better a primary router and 2 x AiMesh node setups or the primary, AP node and repeater node setup would appreciate your thoughts on this thanks.

At one point after doing a hard reset back to factory settings then searching for it using the ax88u it was recognised for the aimesh but I couldn't log into it using factory default or the previous login details so as to update it's f/w so that was another reason I had to use it as a primary so as to update the merlin firmware the rest is above.
Sorry for the long winded post but it's a good idea of the messing about I had.

I maybe might try the AiMesh approach depending what yourself or anyone else's views and might have to say about the preference in setups.

At one point after doing a hard reset back to factory settings then searching for it using the ax88u it was recognised for the aimesh but I couldn't log into it using factory default or the previous login details so as to update it's f/w so that was another reason I had to use it as a primary so as to update the merlin firmware the rest is above.

To add a node to AiMesh, reset its firmware and add the node to the AiMesh from within the main router webUI. You do not configure/update nodes directly; you manage them from within the webUI of the main AiMesh router.

My AiMesh install notes may offer some clues.

OE

Hi OzarkEdge yes I agree but the only way to update the node which was the ac88u was as I described was setting it up as the primary router because when it was in the recognised aimesh node configuration on the ax88u f/w I was unable to log into it using defaulut or last used f/w details within the ax88u f/w.

Hi OzarkEdge yes I agree but the only way to update the node which was the ac88u was as I described was setting it up as the primary router because when it was in the recognised aimesh node configuration on the ax88u f/w I was unable to log into it using defaulut or last used f/w details within the ax88u f/w.

My AiMesh router webUI permits uploading firmware to any or all connected AiMesh nodes... without logging into them directly.

OE

Hi OzarkEdge, my silly as I was using the incorrect login details as you said it works good thanks for putting me in the right direction again.

Hi OzarkEdge I dont know why but I still can't aimesh the ac86u which is in AP mode, I've managed to update the aimesh ac88u node though through the ax88u f/w interface.

Hi L&LD yes i've done the full hard reset using both methods on the ac86u and set it in AP mode but I gaave it a static ip so would the static ip stop it being integregated as I've had it as an aimesh node before in AP mode but cant recall if it was static or not, I think it was. Also the ac86u has an ethernet backhaul.

You can't set it in AP mode and expect to add it as an AiMesh node too.

That's odd as in Merlins f/w settings in administration operation mode there is the default mode and below it there is the:- Access Point(AP) mode/AiMesh Router in AP mode which is what I set it up for but unable to configure it as such.

See post 11 above. You add an AiMesh node via the main router's GUI. Fully reset the router you want to use as a node and do not touch it afterward.

Ok L&LD done that ok and its at the rear of the house with cable backhaul, but the ac88u on the 2nd floor drops in and out as an aimesh node so I was wondering if the wifi signal its trying to hang on to can be improved by using a powerline adapter from the main routers spare ethernet port and another adapter upstairs with the ac88u aimesh node using a ethernet cacable to another powerline adapter, what do you think.

The powerline adaptor is the last thing I would try.

Simply move the node until the signal is better balanced for both its connection to the main router and for the intended areas it is meant to serve.

Even moving the main router a few inches in some cases can be enough. Also, play with height, orientation, and antennae placement. Everything matters in Wi-Fi. Even a few inches sometimes give dramatic results.

The trouble is there isn't a nearer position as it's already at the top of the flight of stairs facing the main bedroom, I've tried it directly above the main router below but the concrete slab with rebar imbeded which supports the 2nd floor doesn't help thats why I was thinking of the power sockets. Why would the powerline adapter be the last thing to try, do they work because quite honestly I don't know what's left that might work.

A router directly above another router or client device is the worst location because of how the RF emanates.

Think of a donut. The 'hole' is not where you want to put the connecting device under.

Antenna Gain (antenna-theory.com)

In your case (concrete w/rebar) PLA's may be the best solution (even if not optimal).

Yes I see what you mean but when at top of stairs it's more akin to the donut but still doesn't hold the wifi so tried various places in the same area to no avail. With the adapters can they be intergrated with the router wifi signal for extension/repeater. I did also wonder whether the antennas gain on the routers can be improved using higher gain antennas.