What's new

unable to att AIMesh nodes via Wi-fi but works via cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

styrbiorn

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I have the last few days been reconfiguring my whole AIMesh (hard reset on router and all nodes, starting from scratch). All because an issue with one node but it was probably in the main router.

The ones I have worked with are these:
RT-AC88U as AIMesh router and 9 nodes (5x RT-AC68U, 4x RT-AC66U B1, 2x RT-AC86, some units as extender or AP)
most connected via RJ-45. Running Merlin 386.4

My issue is that I cannot add nodes that are only connected via Wi-Fi. I can find them but adding failed with a message saying that someone else i trying to add a node.
If i connect a cable it all works great.

I pretty sure I have only had one device at a time in factory reset mode so there should not have been any interference there.
At some point during this I had one or two of my devices still belonging to my "old" setup. Could that affect things?
I have no neighbours that could be involved.

Any idéas?

And btw Anyone knows if the limit of 9 nodes might be raised (I know its only recommended with 4-5... )

Ok, so i guess it got a little out of hand.. I started out with three in total thought id cover the floors of my house. They was quite inexpensive and they had reasonable reviews. got a new one and two used AC66U-B1 and AC68U.
Turns out 20 cm solid timber doesn't do great things with wifi signals. Add on top of that two naturestone/mortar chimneys about 1,5x1,5 meters.
So i got some more used routers... at one point i had 5 in my house but after adding a few cables and skipping Wi-Fi uplink it works with one on each floor and one extra to use as a "bridge" for some distant ones in my barn...
Then i wanted to cover my other house and basement and a guesthouse and the barn and the minifarmshop. So thats where I'm at right now.
Maybe I should somewhere along the way have reconsidered choice of equipment but I already had so many...
What would you suggest? I'm open for advice!

Best to use Asus firmware on the nodes. A node has no advantage with Merlin. With Merlin use the 385.5 alpha 1 if your router is supported.

ok, thanks for the tip. I looked around a bit but cant find where do download that.

I do find RT-AC88U_386.5_alpha1-gbb7ff5cb66
In the change log included with that there is no mention of 385.x at all it goes from 384.19 to 386.1. What am I missing?

What in that version do you think might resolve my issue?

This is your issue, perhaps:

Skip 386.4 firmware. Don't run alpha firmware in production, wait for 386.5 release. Use stock Asuswrt for better AiMesh.

What in that version do you think might resolve my issue?

Newer Asuswrt base, eventually. Again, this is early alpha firmware. Not recommended to run your network on it, except for testing.

styrbiorn said:
What would you suggest?

With the 10 routers you already have it's indeed too late for equipment change suggestions.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!