What's new

Unable to change channel on my ZenWifi AC CT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Herlix

New Around Here
Hi!

I am in need of changing channel on my wifi, both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz could benefit from not being on the same channel as my neighbours.

Though I can't find where to change channel on this router, i can find it on my old router (rt-ac56u).
There is a "controll channel" under general wifi, but the dropdown gives me 1 alternative:"Auto"

The 2.4 and 5 ghx bands have the same ssid and password. The third backhaul band is untouched atm.

I have 2 units, live in a stone house that blocks all signals, goal is to get the wifi working correctly for the older devices in the house.
My newer devices can handle the communication but not the old once. I thought it might help to change channel, for a start.

The 2.4 and 5 ghx bands have the same ssid and password. The third backhaul band is untouched atm.

I'm not familiar with the Zen units but on past firmware, enabling Smart Connect forced using same SSIDs and auto channels. So, see if you can disable Smart Connect and set different SSIDs and fixed channels. This is preferable, imo.

On my RT-AC86U, firmware 81792 began allowing fixed channels with Smart Connect enabled... they pulled that firmware for some unknown reason, but subsequent firmware still permits using Smart Connect with fixed channels.

OE

I'm not familiar with the Zen units but on past firmware, enabling Smart Connect forced using same SSIDs and auto channels. So, see if you can disable Smart Connect and set different SSIDs and fixed channels. This is preferable, imo.

On my RT-AC86U, firmware 81792 began allowing fixed channels with Smart Connect enabled... they pulled that firmware for some unknown reason, but subsequent firmware still permits using Smart Connect with fixed channels.

OE

It worked! I disables the Smart Connect, after that I could set channels. It seems to work better now but more testing will tell.
Thanks for the help :)

It worked! I disables the Smart Connect, after that I could set channels. It seems to work better now but more testing will tell.
Thanks for the help :)

Some aspects of using different SSIDs and fixed channels:

o You are not relying on Smart Connect auto band steering... you are band steering manually when you connect your client to the desired SSID/band. If you roam far, you may want to define a second connection on the client for the 2.4 band... but probably not if the client works well on the 5.0 band at your typical roaming distances (hardware capable clients like a laptop PC will).

o Connecting your clients to the preferred band will avoid any band contention for more predictable/stable WiFi. For example, they won't connect to 2.4 and then re-connect to 5.0. It also allows segmenting your clients across WLANs, if necessary for some reason.

o Not using Auto channels (and 5.0 DFS channels 52-144 (N. America))
will avoid automatic channel change disruption to client connections, but not WiFi channel interference, so keep an eye on your fixed channel choices from time to time.

OE

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!