What's new

Unable to change Clients Name

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SeeSawSam

Occasional Visitor
Searched and found no relevant discussion.

Previously, I've been able to successfully rename my clients from their mac address to a more user-friendly name. This is done from the main router page (router.asus.com/index.asp) by clicking on the 'View List' button, then setting the cursor's focus on a specific clients name. This can also be done by clicking the icon above the 'View List' button, then editing the specific client and hitting the 'Apply' button.

For the past day, I can no longer make that sort of change. Instead, the newly-typed clients name reverts back to the mac address. I have rebooted the router and also the accompanying aiMesh node (although I did first confirm that the behavior occurs to clients on both the primary router and aimesh node).

Both routers are RT-AC86U running the latest 3.0.0.4.384_10007 firmware.

Anyone else seen this sort of behavior. From doing some research, I found some similar complaints from 4 years ago, that involved NVRAM clearing. But it didn't feel useful given the time frame.

EDIT - SOLVED

So, based on the aimesh thread... seems there is a 1000 character limit at play. I had named ~17 devices with really long names (such as "Basement - AV - Nvidia Shield"). I went through my client list and shortened many of them. This freed up enough capacity that I could rename my last few devices from their mac-addresses to easier-on-the-eyes names.

Last edited:
Just checked on my AC86U with the same firmware and can still rename stuff OK (in Network Map > Clients > View List). I'm not running it in an AiMesh at the moment though if that makes any difference.

Just checked on my AC86U with the same firmware and can still rename stuff OK (in Network Map > Clients > View List). I'm not running it in an AiMesh at the moment though if that makes any difference.
I am running AiMesh on my LAN and I have the same ability as before. Bring up the full Client List and click on the name. However, to change the icon you need to bring up the sidebar list.

OP here - I don't know the plumbing involved, but I can change the icons, but still not the client name.
Sounds like you are on the wrong screen. From the web gui, go to Network Map, then click the View List button. On this screen you'll see a nearly full screen list of all the clients. You can not change the icon, but you can change the Clients Name to something friendly by clicking on the name.

Sounds like you are on the wrong screen. From the web gui, go to Network Map, then click the View List button. On this screen you'll see a nearly full screen list of all the clients. You can not change the icon, but you can change the Clients Name to something friendly by clicking on the name.

Thx for the response. Unfortunately, I've tried it via the method you describe. And I've also tried it via clicking on the icon above that View List button and then choosing the device and changing the client name on the screen used to change the icon. Using either method, I get a near-immediate revert back to the mac address. Both methods worked previously, even with this firmware. I'm at a loss of what might have changed.

Perhaps you need to perform a reset on it to clear the ram. Sometimes my 88u gets finicky forcing me to clear it out to stop it. You should be able to click on the client name in the client listing or under the status tab and change it.

Perhaps you need to perform a reset on it to clear the ram. Sometimes my 88u gets finicky forcing me to clear it out to stop it. You should be able to click on the client name in the client listing or under the status tab and change it.
Yeah, I was thinking that there may be an issue in NVRAM. Those Custom names are stored in NVRAM under the name custom_clientlist. To see, enter the ssh command:
nvram get custom_clientlist
So maybe the system has determined that nvram is corrupt or dirty and won't allow changes.

So, based on the aimesh thread... seems there is a 1000 character limit at play. I had named ~17 devices with really long names (such as "Basement - AV - Nvidia Shield"). I went through my client list and shortened many of them. This freed up enough capacity that I could rename my last few devices from their mac-addresses to easier-on-the-eyes names.

Thx for all the feedback.

Can I assign these friendly names ahead of time by manually updating custom_clientlist in nvram? It would be easier if we can just assign the friendly names with static DHCP entries. This is why I disable the onboard DHCP server and use the DHCP server on an old wrt54gs running tomato, but too bad asus doesn't lookup the dns name for the client list.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!