What's new

Unable to Clear NVRAM of RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bulldog

Regular Contributor
Okay, getting a bit desperate here.

I want to get rid of the latest 4180 firmware, which is buggy on my RT-N56U, and go back to the earlier 3879 firmware. The big problem is: I can't clear the NVRAM on my router. No matter how many times I try, I'm still with the 4180 firmware.

Here's what I've done (my router is connected to my computer with an Ethernet cable)

1. Using the 30/30/30 I successfully put my router into rescue mode. (The power LED is blinking slowly and all other LEDs are off.)

2. I open the Asus firmware restoration utility and upload the .trx of the 3879 firmware. The upload is successful.

So far, so good. Here's where the trouble starts.

3. After uploading the firmware "System recovery is in process ..." This takes a very long time. In fact, it takes 11 minutes for the progress bar to get to 100%. After about a minute I notice that the LEDs on the router are lit as they normally are when the router is working. This is not a good sign.

4. After "System recovery is in process ..." is finally over I see this message:

"Failed to connect to the wireless router. Check if the router's LED is blinking, which denotes that the router is in rescue mode."

5. When I sign in to the router's admin console I see that nothing has changed and I'm still with the 4180 firmware.

Please tell me how I can go back to the earlier firmware, by any method that really works. And thanks for putting up with me.

You don't clear the nvram on this by doing the 30/30/30. This is old dd-wrt.
Set a static ping on your router through telnet: ping 192.168.1.1 -t
Unplug the router. Hold the reset button in and keep it held in as you apply power to the router.
When the power led starts flashing, you can let go of the reset button, at this point your ping responses should be ttl=100, indicating the router is waiting for firmware.
Log into 192.168.1.1 and you should see the mini cfe web server. Upload the firmware from there.

When the router is in rescue mode, if I then log into 192.168.1.1 I do not see the mini cfe web server. Instead, I see that familiar message: Changes have been made to the IP address or port number...

Clear your browser cache or try a different browser.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!