What's new

Unable to connect to router from outside LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
I've been using OpenVpn to connect to my network when I'm not home, but since a few days ago, OpenVpn won't connect anymore from outside my LAN, only when I am connected to wifi wihtin my network.
I've tried re-configuring the VPN, but I still can't access it from outside.

Why would it change like that on its own and what could be causing the issue?

The last change I made was adding @eibgrad script to fix the kill switch thing, but I don't think that would cause this particular issue I am having, right?

Check if you got a CGNAT address, start with 100.

Your routers ip-number.
1665253134595.png

What is your router connected to?

Isn't it because I'm behind NAT?
It's always been this way and it was working fine.

Yes you are actually in a double NAT situation. Your router should be seeing the public IP not one handed to it by another device.

Have you bridged the Actiontec T3260? Or otherwise configured the Actiontec T3260 to pass the OpenVPN ports to the Asus router? From appearences you may be double NAT'd which may cause issues.

Normally one would either bridge their ISP modem/router/gateway the Asus router is connected to. Or put the Asus router, that sits behind the upstream broadband router/gateway, into the upstream router/gateway's DMZ zone.

I am very confused. I've been connecting to my router using the exact configuration for many many months, why would it now give me issues?
Due to my current setup, I am unable to set my Modem into bridge mode.

Last edited:
When I was having this same issue a long time ago, It was suggested for me to forward port 1194 at the modem, which is what I did and it started working great, no issues.
But now it started again.

Due to my current setup, I am unable to set my Modem into bridge mode.
What is it about your current setup that prevents you from putting the modem into bridge mode?

What is it about your current setup that prevents you from putting the modem into bridge mode?
It's complicated. The modem is in a room where my work computer is and the router is on another part of the house providing internet to the rest of the devices (personal devices) connected via Ethernet which I ran through the attic.

If I set it to bridge mode, only one LAN port will become available in the modem which is the one I need to use for my work's computer, meaning I won't be able to connect the router unless I run another cable through the attic which I am not planning on doing any time soon.

When I was having this same issue a long time ago, It was suggested for me to forward port 1194 at the modem, which is what I did and it started working great, no issues.
But now it started again.
Maybe your "modem's" public IP address has changed. Are you using DDNS on the Asus router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!