What's new

Unable to flash Merlin firmware on AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FTDude

New Around Here
Hello all,

This is my first post on SNB.
A month ago I bought an RT-AX58U (I discovered it has V2 labeled on the back ,after reading other threads for my problem).

As the title states: I am not able to flash my firmware to Merlin.
I searched for answers in other similar threads, but this was always a dead end.

What I did:
Laptop connected to the 58U wired to port 2. (several wireless devices connected, no wired devices) I don't use the USB port at all.
I was on original Asus firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45518-g904e564 according to firmware page
Unpacked and selected Merlin firmware: RT-AX58U_386.4_0_cferom_puresqubi.w
It goes in to updating mode for several minutes. After a while I revert back to the screen to login again.
Firmware version still reads 3.0.0.4.386_45518
I execute a reboot and after that an factory reset with the checkbox marked to clear settings.
Setup the router with the same SSID name and router login details.
Reboot
Firmware version still reads 3.0.0.4.386_45518

I tried other Merlin version with the same result. (Merlin RT-AX58U_386.3_2)

Then I downloaded the latest firmware version from Asus site: 3.0.0.4.386.47029
I redo the same procedure as above with other firmware's, to check if I did something wrong.
After updating, I login and it states the new firmware version: 3.0.0.4.386.47029, so flashing was successful.

I execute a reboot, factory reset, setup the router again and a reboot.
Now I try Merlin RT-AX58U_386.4_0 again.
But after pressing update I get the popup "Applying settings". This goes away and I get a new popup: Invalid Firmware Upload
This also happens with Merlin RT-AX58U_386.3_2 and Merlin RT-AX58U_386.4_beta3 and Asus 3.0.0.4.386.45898 (Only this older version is available on the Asus webpage)

I reboot by unplugging power supply cable.

So what did I wrong in the first place and how to fix that?
Why am I not able to revert to an older Asus firmware and how to fix this?

V2 is its own beast and last I knew only factory stock is available now.

There may be 1 new release since its shipping version. But I think ASUS made it so you could not go back, fixing security issues.

A month ago I bought an RT-AX58U (I discovered it has V2 labeled on the back ,after reading other threads for my problem).
As noted in those other threads the V2 model is not supported by Merlin's firmware.

Why am I not able to revert to an older Asus firmware and how to fix this?

Thankyou for your reply.

It is really unfortunate that V2 is not supported. Hopefully it will! Higher end Asus routers are a bit to pricey for me.

Before purchasing I looked up which devices were supported, so I did not encounter problems like this.
Even in the readme of merlin states fully supported models: * RT-AX58U & RT-AX3000

Maybe some devs can update the supported models, so it states V2 not supported.

I got into same issue, tried to upgrade at least 10 times until I decided to google the issue and got here ...

Same misfortune here- RT-AX58U V2.
I saw the "only V1 supported" in the supported models list but I did not see I was buying V2 on Amazon. I checked the Amazon page for this router again recently, no mention of V2 there. Very annoying :(

I intended to use this router as a vpn client but this option seems only available with Merlin. As a router with an Open VPN server it will still work with original Asus firmware as far as I understand.

I intended to use this router as a vpn client but this option seems only available with Merlin.

Available in stock Asuswrt (was always there) plus VPN Fusion selective routing (from 388 firmware).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!