What's new

Unable to get port forwarding to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ducky124

Regular Contributor
I am using an AC86U running the latest Merlin on it. So after trying on and off for the past year, I am unable to get port forwarding to work. No matter what I do the port 555xx will not open. My only recourse is to use DMZ, but this opens all the ports. I have also tried using UPnP, which also doesn't work. I am trying to have access to my NAS from the internet. I am about to start pulling out all my hair. If it was just me accessing the NAS I would set up a VPN, but I need to have client access. Anyone have any suggestions?

What does your portforwarding rule look like?
External port xxxxx, Internal port [NAS]?
You didn't mention what the internal ports on your NAS are.

Aside from the configuration issue, I can only warn to make your NAS easily accessible through port forwarding. Better install a VPN - ideally wireguard, but OpenVPN is fine and connect to your home network first.
You will be bombarded with port scans if you don't.
And - please - don't use the same internal ports as external ports, since those are the ones first tested.

Have you had Port Forwarding work with a previous router with the same network conneciton?
If yes, it will be configuration, If not, make sure your ISP is not using CGN (Carrier Grade NAT) for your service.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!