What's new

Unable to log into router admin after changing IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

petesouthwest

New Around Here
Hi
I've bought an Asus DSl-N16 as it has QoS settings that I need. I'm with Sky, so simply changing the Sky Hub for the new router is not easy as Sky won't give out passwords etc.

So I've read that I should be able to connect the new Asus router to Sky Hub by ethernet cable, disabling the Asus's DHCP and assigning it a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 and then connecting my other devices to the Asus. AIU my old Sky Hub then does DHCP and works as a modem while the Asus acts like a more intelligent router.

The Asus initial admin panel log on IP is 192.168.1.1 which I can access with a PC connected directly to the router. My Sky Hub admin is 192.168.0.1

However, when I follow the process above and change the Asus to 192.168.0.2 I get an error message saying "192.168.0.2 refused to connect." I get the same message when I connect the Asus to the sky Hub and try that address.

It would be great if anyone could suggest what I'm doing wrong or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Hi
I've bought an Asus DSl-N16 as it has QoS settings that I need. I'm with Sky, so simply changing the Sky Hub for the new router is not easy as Sky won't give out passwords etc.

So I've read that I should be able to connect the new Asus router to Sky Hub by ethernet cable, disabling the Asus's DHCP and assigning it a fixed IP of 192.168.0.2 and then connecting my other devices to the Asus. AIU my old Sky Hub then does DHCP and works as a modem while the Asus acts like a more intelligent router.

The Asus initial admin panel log on IP is 192.168.1.1 which I can access with a PC connected directly to the router. My Sky Hub admin is 192.168.0.1

However, when I follow the process above and change the Asus to 192.168.0.2 I get an error message saying "192.168.0.2 refused to connect." I get the same message when I connect the Asus to the sky Hub and try that address.

It would be great if anyone could suggest what I'm doing wrong or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Is your ISP service fiber, cable, xDSL, ?

What is the Sky Hub model? It sounds like an all-in-one ISP gateway modem/router/wireless AP box that you cannot admin/reconfigure, yes? If so, it will have the last say in any QoS?

And you want to connect an xDSL modem/router/wireless AP to it? Seems like a poor match... adding another modem and router.

I'm not sure this project is going in the right direction, but I may not understand all of the details.

OE

Your Sky gateway is perhaps much better router than DSL-N16 with better Wi-Fi as well. It may not be necessary to use this Asus at all. Not sure what QoS options you are after.

Many thanks
I think you are setting this up incorrectly.

First, don't disable DHCP. Next go to the WAN - Internet Connection page and choose WAN Transfer Mode of Ethernet WAN and select the LAN Port that the Sky Hub is plugged into.

After you've made those changes you still log into the Asus router using the 192.168.1.1 address. That's it. All your clients should now connect to the Asus (not the Sky Hub) and get an IP address of 192.168.1.x.

P.S. Disable the WiFi on the Sky Hub to prevent wireless clients accidentally connecting to it.

P.P.S. But as the previous poster mentioned, the DSL-N16 is a very low spec device with slow Ethernet ports and very slow WiFi.

Last edited:
Hi
Thank you ColinTaylor, I'll try that.

Sorry to everyone else for the lack of information.

I'm on an old Sky Essentials 11Mb/s max connection. SR102 Router. No QoS on that. Ethernet cables around the house so we don't need wireless.

I Can't upgrade as we need a landline due to poor mobile signals, power cuts in the winter etc. Working from home using Microsoft teams and voip software all day. As soon as anyone else in the family uses the internet for anything the voip starts breaking up.

So this is a bit of an experiment. I was hoping to setup the QoS on the Asus router to prioritise either the work laptop or services like Voip. If necessary I was going to flash the Asus with 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT that does seem to offer an IP address based priority system.

I was following this video explanation
I know that is a different router, but I had assumed the principles would be the same.

Thank you :)

I think you are setting this up incorrectly.

First, don't disable DHCP. Next go to the WAN - Internet Connection page and choose WAN Transfer Mode of Ethernet WAN and select the LAN Port that the Sky Hub is plugged into.

After you've made those changes you still log into the Asus router using the 192.168.1.1 address. That's it. All your clients should now connect to the Asus (not the Sky Hub) and get an IP address of 192.168.1.x.

P.S. Disable the WiFi on the Sky Hub to prevent wireless clients accidentally connecting to it.

P.P.S. But as the previous poster mentioned, the DSL-N16 is a very low spec device with slow Ethernet ports and very slow WiFi.
Hi Colin, when I go into WAN Connection page of the Asus router there is a drop-down option for VDSL or ADSL but no Ethernet WAN settings?

I was following this video explanation
I know that is a different router, but I had assumed the principles would be the same.
Those instructions are not applicable to what you're trying to achieve. Those are for setting up another router as a wireless access point (for better WiFi). It does this by bypassing the Asus' routing functions. It's also why it said to disable DHCP. You do not want to do any of this. To use the Asus' QoS it must be operating as a router, not an access point.

Hi Colin, when I go into WAN Connection page of the Asus router there is a drop-down option for VDSL or ADSL but no Ethernet WAN settings?
I was only going by page #47 of the manual.

If there's no way to specify that the WAN interface is an Ethernet port rather than the RJ11 telephone port you're stuck.

You could try going to the Dual WAN settings (page 49) and setting the Primary WAN there to the Ethernet port. Set the Secondary WAN to DSL but leave it unplugged. Dual WAN would be set to Fail Over, even though you wouldn't actually be using it this way,

Last edited: