What's new

Unable to Save QOS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joliet_Tech

New Around Here
I am trying to enable QOS on my RT AC66U router. I slide the switch to ON and enter my upload and hit the Save button but it does not save. I have tried this several times but it never saves. I get messages that lead me to believe that is is being saved but when it returns, the Save button is still active. If I go to another page (of the router) and return, the QOS is still disabled. I am perplexed to say the least.

I am connected wirelessly to the router. I have just updated the FW to the latest version.

Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like your NVRAM might be full. I don't think there's a way of checking that on the stock Asus firmware. You could try logging into the router and looking at System Log - General Log to see if there are any error messages when you do the save.

Other than that you might have to perform a factory default reset and manually setup your router again. That usually fixes oddities like this.

Thanks for your response. Of course, I am not on site right now so I can't check but will later this afternoon. I will post what I find out.

If you have enabled access to the router via SSH or Telnet you could log into it (assuming you have the appropriate client software) and issue the following command. It will show your NVRAM usage.
Code:
# nvram show > /dev/null
size: 50322 bytes (15214 left)

Hmmmm. I normally log in via Teamviewer/Windows. I suppose that I could enable SSH and then access the client /NVRAM. I assume there is no way to do this other than through SSH/Telnet. I will give it a try. Thanks

I assume there is no way to do this other than through SSH/Telnet.
I'm not aware of a way in the GUI, but I don't use that particular firmware so I might be wrong. It could be a red herring anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up having to do a factory reset.

If you have enabled access to the router via SSH or Telnet you could log into it (assuming you have the appropriate client software) and issue the following command. It will show your NVRAM usage.
Code:
# nvram show > /dev/null
size: 50322 bytes (15214 left)

From Telnet: 46267, 19269 left I don't think that this is the problem

Much to my amazement, when I logged back into the router, the QOS setting was enabled. I was also then able to set the QOS ports. Why it would not save the settings is somewhat academic now but it sure irritates me to have spent way too much time on this. I guess that is what you get with Home/SOHO equipment.
Thanks for your responses and help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!