What's new

Unable to setup VPN Client Merlin 384.6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Christopher C

New Around Here
I'm running Merlin 384.6 on an ASUS rt-ac3200. I want to set up a VPN and I am able to setup the VPN Server and export an .ovpn file. When I import the .ovpn file on the VPN client screen, the file uploads and I get the 'upload complete' message. About five seconds later the screen flashes and the returns without the client I just uploaded. System log shows "openvpn: resetting client (unit 1) to default settings". I tried several times to create the client and each time I get that message.

I did a restore to factory defaults after loading 384.6 and not being able to create a VPN client, and that did not help.

What do I need to do to be able to create and openvpn client? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thx

I tried several times to create the client and each time I get that message.

That message is normal. Before loading the ovpn file, the existing settings have to be reset to their default values, to avoid conflicting configurations.

I'm running Merlin 384.6 on an ASUS rt-ac3200. I want to set up a VPN and I am able to setup the VPN Server and export an .ovpn file. When I import the .ovpn file on the VPN client screen, the file uploads and I get the 'upload complete' message. About five seconds later the screen flashes and the returns without the client I just uploaded. System log shows "openvpn: resetting client (unit 1) to default settings". I tried several times to create the client and each time I get that message.

I did a restore to factory defaults after loading 384.6 and not being able to create a VPN client, and that did not help.

What do I need to do to be able to create and openvpn client? Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thx
Here are some instructions:
OpenVPN Client Setup
https://x3mtek.com/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware/

OpenVPN Server Setup
https://x3mtek.com/openvpn-server-setup-instructions-for-asuswrt-merlin/

Hi Merlin
Question about your above posts.
Do you recommend “torguard” as vpn.
I use NvidiaShield and would like to hide my ip, I have tried 2 vpn
Unlimited VPN and ipvanish, the latter was faster.
In both cases I just tested them on the Shield.
I would like to use the vpn on my asus ac5300.
Thank you
Mario

Hi Merlin
Question about your above posts.
Do you recommend “torguard” as vpn.
I use NvidiaShield and would like to hide my ip, I have tried 2 vpn
Unlimited VPN and ipvanish, the latter was faster.
In both cases I just tested them on the Shield.
I would like to use the vpn on my asus ac5300.
Thank you
Mario
I recommend TorGuard as it can be installed on all firmware and can get around vpn blocks some streaming media services have put in place. TG has an apk you can install on the Nvidia. Or, you can configure the vpn client on the asus router. I use scripts for selective routing of streaming media services to different tunnels on the asus router.

Some devices on Nvidia use the location services of the router to determine location rather than the IP address you are connected to. See https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...i-fi-to-determine-location.46007/#post-407758