What's new

unable to upgrade to new firmware RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sandeepj

New Around Here
I am trying to upgrade to the latest RT-AC86U firmware (384.12 from 384.11); however, my system log and VPN >> VPN Client >> Custom Configuration screen on the VPN tab show errors that are completely foreign to me. Any ideas what can be wrong please? This is not the first time I am upgrading the firmware and I did the same exact steps as I normally do; however, something changed and I have no idea how to debug.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC86U/Release/

I appreciate your assistance!

Attachments

• custom-configuration.pdf
    67.4 KB · Views: 294
  • system-log.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 298
This is not the first time I am upgrading the firmware and I did the same exact steps as I normally do; however, something changed and I have no idea how to debug.
Try the suggestions posted above. If that does not resolve your problem, I would suggest that you reset the configuration back to default and MANUALLY (don't load a configuration file) make the necessary changes for your environment.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes, the signature is the same for the latest release:
https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

7f1570c57c1398816b5872bd71e4267922a280bd900bf0e9e7b625a9df9425d3 RT-AC86U_384.12_0_cferom_ubi.w
7f1570c57c1398816b5872bd71e4267922a280bd900bf0e9e7b625a9df9425d3 RT-AC86U_384.12_0_cferom_ubi.w

Also, I just hit the 'Default' button on the VPN Client tab and tried to re-upload the config file, but all I see is a spinner and a window message in the bottom of the browser "Waiting for router.asus.com...". Screenshot attached.

I will try the MANUAL suggestion (if I can figure it out) and report back. Thanks.

Attachments

• vpnclient-screen.png.pdf
    290.8 KB · Views: 238
I am assuming also that the only way to cancel out the upload browser process is to close the browser tab and reopen the router admin? I don't need to do a router reboot or anything, right? Thanks!

Maby you should put your latest release file on right place and not in vpnclient. :eek:
Firmware upgrade is right place.

WOW, you guys are superb. Total user error on my part. Don't think my mind was in the right place. So sorry, I wasted everyone's time. But I got it working using the standard firmware process (mentioned above).

THANK YOU for being nice and for sharing your expertise. Have a wonderful day. Thank you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!