What's new

unblock-us , dnsmasq and netflix performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ozgurcnbyz

Regular Contributor
Hi,
This is not related to asus routers but since there are alot of people using services such as unblock-us to bypass geoblocking , i thought i might find out if there are others experiencing the same issues that i am.
i am using unotelly as a smartdns service. everything works fine except that netflix picture quality is not satisfactory. its no where near being hd. my internet connection is 50 mbps down and 5 mbps up. appletv that i watch netflix can stream 1080p itunes movies without a problem. so i am pretty sure its not the apple tv or my internet connection.
at first i thought its netflix but to be sure i tried accessing netflix over a vpn connection which theoretically is slower then the smart dns method. i have a vps at linode which i am running openvpn server on . believe it or not the picture quality is amazing when streaming the same content from netflix.
i was wondering if any of you having the same issue .

Yeah definitely a problem with Comcast as I can't stream in full HD as well even though I have 50/10 service from them.

i have problems with netflix using a VPN and / or a smart dns service like unblock-us. The example video show 3.000 kbps (720p) but never more. There are times where it doesn't even reach that level. iTunes Videos run perfectly in 1080p. Any suggestions?

I'm having 100 Down / 20 Up by the way. This should not be the case.

More than likely Comcast is throttling traffic coming from Netflix. Basically it comes down to money. Netflix generates so much traffic that goes through Comcast's infrastructure basically for free. There is talk of having streaming services like Netflix pay for higher priority or no throttling when sending out traffic, but that is highly unlikely.

Right now your choices are:

1. Suck it up.
2. Complain to Netflix/Comcast.
3. Change services.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!