What's new

Unbound and client latency question

• Thread starter Deleted member 62525
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 62525

I have notice something peculiar that I have no answer to regarding DNS response latency running Unbound DNS.
I have my laptop connected directly to the router. When testing dig cnn.com on the router I get Query Time: 0ms.
That makes sense since unbound is caching cnn.com. When I perform the same dig command on my laptop the Query Time is 43ms. It is very consistent on the laptop, always 43 or 44ms for every cached record in unbound. I was sort of expecting the number on the client for cached entries to be much lower. When I try ping my router it comes back 0.4ms. Makes me think, what is the reason for this latency when entries are cached?

I have to revise this post. On 386.1 it looks as if dig somehost on the router does not return Query Time 0 anymore. I found that now it started to use 127.0.1.1 address since I have a quest network. I am sure this was different on 384.19 version. It is caching but locally getting a cache entries take 40ms.
My /etc/resolve.conf also has 127.0.1.1

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to revise this post. On 386.1 it looks as if dig somehost on the router does not return Query Time 0 anymore. I found that now it started to use 127.0.1.1 address since I have a quest network. I am sure this was different on 384.19 version. It is caching but locally getting a cache entries take 40ms.
My /etc/resolve.conf also has 127.0.1.1
This would happen if DNS Privacy is active and you have the router set to use dnsmasq instead of the WAN DNS Servers (toggled from the Tools / Other Settings page).

I had to do hard reset back a week ago, you are sooo correct. I completely forgot about this setting.
Thanks for a quick response. Appreciate it.

After the fix above local dig works as expected returning Query Time: 0 for cached items. Local clients however still are above 40ms for the same cached entries.

Are the queries going to dnsmasq and then Unbound?

Are the queries going to dnsmasq and then Unbound?
dnsmasq is disabled. Using Unbound on port 53. I would be interested to hear from other with the similar setup what is their latency for the client. I am on version 386.1

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!