What's new

Unbound Unbound and OpenVPN clients - basics?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mathieu

Regular Contributor
Hello
Though the issue has been dealt with to a certain extent in other threads (see Unbound Unbound DNS VPN Client w/policy rules) I found the discussions there quite specific and beyond my technical abilities.

I have been - happily - using unbound as DNS resolver for all devices on my network.
I am also using rules-based VPN routing for a couple of clients (geoloc bypass).
I recently updated to RMerlin 386.2 and also updated unbound and Diversion.
Around the time of the update I noticed that the two devices on the tunnel (Apple tvs) where returning errors of failed connection (TLS handshakes).
Out of ignorance, I thought this may be a DNS issue, which leads me to ask you cognoscenti the following:

Is there a set of dum-proof settings one should consider when using Unbound in conjunction with Policy based VPN routing?

I believe any VPN DNS topic is addressed by the .ovpn config file, but don't know whether that could conflict with having Unbound as a default resolver.
From the screenshots provided in other threads, Unbound appears to offer some VPN tweaks (in the 'advanced' config sections, those I usually avoid).
I asked the VPN provider about DNS server but they were not forthcoming.

Any help, hint, or qualified RTFM will be much appreciated.

Thanks!