What's new

unbound/entware keeps breaking and corrupting new usb disks on RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JimHort

New Around Here
I run Asuswrt-Merlin w FW :384.18 and amtm 3.1.7. on my RT-AC86U router.
After few weeks of working, unbound and entware crash while my USB disk becomes read-only and unusable. I already went through 3 new USB sticks. Everything else in my router seems to work fine.
How can I troubleshoot this further? I found no logs in /jffs or /var/run to help me.
Could this be a defective router? It is only few months old.

Buy a better-quality USB drive. :)

don't use USB sticks... Router Linux kill USB sticks period. I had 3 high quality Samsung USB sticks and they all die within 3~6 months... Go with an external HDD or SDD.. I used my old portable HDD and it's running over 1 year without a failure.

Buy a better-quality USB drive. :)
don't use USB sticks... Router Linux kill USB sticks period. I had 3 high quality Samsung USB sticks and they all die within 3~6 months... Go with an external HDD or SDD.. I used my old portable HDD and it's running over 1 year without a failure.
Thank you guys for your replies. Faux123, are you using drive with its own power supply or usb powered? I will try your suggestion.

I’m using an old self powered (USB only) HDD I had from years ago.

This is happening to me too on my AC86U. I thought it was because of overheating, but this makes sense. I've had a USB stick in there for 1.5 years and it's been fine, but now it will become read-only or unmounted once a day.

Thank you for posting this and thanks for the info, all! I'm buying a usb ssd now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!