Unbound Unbound failed to read /opt/var/lib/unbound/root.key

dt525

New Around Here
Hello, New to the forum. Sorry if the question has been address before. I could not find answers searching the forum. I initially posted this question incorrectly, posted privately to the author. When looking around in my router today, I noticed that unbound is suddenly displaying a string of 5 errors. (1-failed to read /opt/var/lib/unbound/root.key, 2-error reading auto-trust-anchor-file: /opt/var/lib/unbound/root.key, 3-validator: error in trustanchors config, 4-validator: could not apply configuration settings, 5-fatal error: bad config for validator module). Displayed in red to attract my attention. I tried uninstalling unbound and rebooting several times. Seems as if unbound did not completely uninstall. I also attempted to debug using the command 'unbound -dv' as suggested by the program. No response to debug. Has this error occurred before. How do I resolve it. My router is RT-AC88U, merlin firmware 386.3.2. I have unbound and diversion installed. By the way, I encounter very little ads on my network. These addons work great. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-8023.jpg
    IMG-8023.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 62

Torson

It could be corruption on your storage device. Two options:

1. From amtm install The Disk check script (dc). Reboot and check the log at
Code:
/jffs/addons/amtm/amtm-disk-check.log
2. Try another storage device but make sure to fully re-install Diversion and Unbound.

dt525

New Around Here
It could be corruption on your storage device. Two options:

1. From amtm install The Disk check script (dc). Reboot and check the log at
Code:
/jffs/addons/amtm/amtm-disk-check.log
2. Try another storage device but make sure to fully re-install Diversion and Unbound.
Thanks for the reply, that's a great suggestion. I will report back after I swap the memory stick and re-install everything. Is there another way to migrate the contents to a new drive. I tried to install nsrum - NVRAM Save/Restore Utility. That was not successful either.

Torson

Migrating content from a potentially corrupted drive? Why?
Just try a clean install... If you customized the Diversion lists you can backup and then copy and paste the content.

dt525

New Around Here
Migrating content from a potentially corrupted drive? Why?
Just try a clean install... If you customized the Diversion lists you can backup and then copy and paste the content.
As I have stated, i'm new around here. I installed the new flash drive and reinstalled all the addons. Everything went ok except Unbound. I still have errors getting that to install. The files are not in the location
that Unbound is searching for them at. Apparently I made some misstep during the installation of either Entware or Unbound. I need help to correct that.

I attempted to copy the files manually to the location that Unbound is searching for them and I was told that I was copying the file to the same location.

The actual location of the files are '/tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/var/lib/'.
Unbound is looking for it's files at '/opt/var/lib/unbound/'.

See the attachments for more info, thanks.

Attachments

• actual location.jpg
    actual location.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 47
  • copy command result.jpg
    copy command result.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 47
  • expected location.jpg
    expected location.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 50

chongnt

As I have stated, i'm new around here. I installed the new flash drive and reinstalled all the addons. Everything went ok except Unbound. I still have errors getting that to install. The files are not in the location
that Unbound is searching for them at. Apparently I made some misstep during the installation of either Entware or Unbound. I need help to correct that.

I attempted to copy the files manually to the location that Unbound is searching for them and I was told that I was copying the file to the same location.

I suppose your memory stick name is sda1? If you go to cd /tmp, then ll, you should see the symlink
Code:
 opt -> /tmp/mnt/sda1/entware/
It goes to the same directory.
Have you try “unbound_manager advanced”, then choose option i to update and see if it helps?
Code:
i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')

Last edited:

Martineau

Part of the Furniture

It appears you have AdBlock configured in the unbound.conf file

i.e. 'include: /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/adservers'

but the file to be included doesn't exist?

I would try disabling AdBlock via the unbound_manager menu, or manually temporarily create it using
Code:
touch /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/adservers
or correctly create it if the script exists
Code:
sh /opt/var/lib/unbound/adblock/gen_adblock.sh

dt525

New Around Here
Solved. Thanks for the community support. I used the 'unbound_manager advanced' command. I was then able to force uninstall unbound. I then reinstalled the addon successfully, I believe. I have 2 additional questions.

1) How do you examine the stats to measure success. see attachment

2) Does unbound and diversion-
a) duplicate each others services
b) is it redundant to run them both
c) do they create any conflicts between them

Thanks again.

Attachments

• statistics report.jpg
    statistics report.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 50

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!