What's new

Unbound Unbound no longer running after upgrading to 388.2_beta2 (from 388.2_beta1) [Solved]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ColDen

I have upgraded from 388.2_beta1 to 388.2_beta2 and I am now not able to run unbound anymore.
I have try to restart and upgrade it without any success then removed/reboot) and re-installed unbound twice but still unable to run unbound.
When installing unbound I am seeing the following error message (never saw this one before):
1680616680420.png

Is there something else I could try before reformating my USB key and reinstall unbound?
Thanks.

After having carefully read the displayed comments, I have also noticed these two additional reported issues during the installation process:

/opt/sbin/unbound-control-setup: line 104: getopts: not found

Generating unbound-anchor 'root.key'.....
Illegal instruction

I had to redo the configuration moving to B1 and then to B2 to restart it, but it restarted:
Code:
Initialising 'unbound-control-setup' to generate SSL Keys
setup in directory /opt/var/lib/unbound
removing artifacts
Setup success. Certificates created. Enable in unbound.conf file to use
Removing package unbound-control-setup from root...
Removing package openssl-util from root...
Package column (2.38.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Entware package 'column' successfully installed
Package diffutils (3.8-1) installed in root is up to date.
Entware package 'diffutils' successfully installed
Package bind-dig (9.18.11-3) installed in root is up to date.
Entware package 'bind-dig' successfully installed
Package haveged (1.9.18-1) installed in root is up to date.
Entware package 'haveged' successfully installed
Updating S02haveged
    S02haveged downloaded successfully 
 Shutting down haveged...              done. 
 Starting haveged...              done. 
Customising 'dnsmasq.postconf' (aka '/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound.postconf')
Updating S61unbound
    S61unbound downloaded successfully 
Retrieving the 13 InterNIC Root DNS Servers from 'https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache'.....

I had to redo the configuration moving to B1 and then to B2 to restart it, but it restarted:
Code:
Initialising 'unbound-control-setup' to generate SSL Keys
setup in directory /opt/var/lib/unbound
removing artifacts
Setup success. Certificates created. Enable in unbound.conf file to use
Removing package unbound-control-setup from root...
Removing package openssl-util from root...
Package column (2.38.1-1) installed in root is up to date.
Entware package 'column' successfully installed
Package diffutils (3.8-1) installed in root is up to date.
Entware package 'diffutils' successfully installed
Package bind-dig (9.18.11-3) installed in root is up to date.
Entware package 'bind-dig' successfully installed
Package haveged (1.9.18-1) installed in root is up to date.
Entware package 'haveged' successfully installed
Updating S02haveged
    S02haveged downloaded successfully
 Shutting down haveged...              done.
 Starting haveged...              done.
Customising 'dnsmasq.postconf' (aka '/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound.postconf')
Updating S61unbound
    S61unbound downloaded successfully
Retrieving the 13 InterNIC Root DNS Servers from 'https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache'.....
Thanks for your reply...

I have noticed that you had this same noticed issue "/opt/sbin/unbound-control-setup: line 104: getopts: not found" but not with "Generating unbound-anchor 'root.key'....." since mine constantly display the message "Illegal instruction" right under that line before showing the "Retrieving the 13 InterNIC Root DNS Servers from 'https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache'....." following line.

Yes, not sure what that is about. This is in the unbound-control-setup file on github, not the amtm-installed unbound_manager (with its funny comments directed at idiots like me). It looks like maybe the setup is being called with -d but no directory specified, so it defaults to the default install directory. But it isn't a fatal error.

The illegal instruction I dunno. Are you getting a root.key file in /opt/var/lib/unbound/ ? If so, the error could be almost anywhere after line 3003 in unbound_manager.sh or something it calls.

Are you getting a root.key file in /opt/var/lib/unbound/ ?
I did not found such directory path on my USB key, the only locations having a root.key file associated with unbound were:
1680649465152.png

1680649529168.png

As previously mentionned, this is the first time I have such issue with unbound. In all the other cases I managed to fix them either by re-updating unbound or remove/reboot then re-install unbound.

Usually I am stopping unbound before updating the router but forgot to do so this morning and think that it may have caused the USK key to become corrupted and now preventing the correct installation of unbound now.

Yes; I think that is the default install directory.
OK then I will reformat my USB key and reinstall my add-ons.

Thanks for your assistance

After having reformatted my USB key, unbound correctly re-installed.

Interesting, I didn’t have any issues with unbound after upgrading to beta 2.

However I did ensure to stop unbound (via unbound_manager) and unmount the USB drive. Not 100% it would have solved your issues but it’s another data point.

Are you getting a root.key file in /opt/var/lib/unbound/ ?
I did not found such directory path on my USB key, the only locations having a root.key file associated with unbound were:
View attachment 49065

View attachment 49066

As previously mentionned, this is the first time I have such issue with unbound. In all the other cases I managed to fix them either by re-updating unbound or remove/reboot then re-install unbound.

Usually I am stopping unbound before updating the router but forgot to do so this morning and think that it may have caused the USK key to become corrupted and now preventing the correct installation of unbound now.
Hey,what file browser you use to see files on the router?

Interesting, I didn’t have any issues with unbound after upgrading to beta 2.

However I did ensure to stop unbound (via unbound_manager) and unmount the USB drive. Not 100% it would have solved your issues but it’s another data point.
I usually do like you (stop unbound then unmount the USB key before any upgrade) but I have forgotten, this time, to stop unbound before upgrading to beta 2.

Hey,what file browser you use to see files on the router?
I have mounted the USB key on my NAS (DS220+) then used the File Station (Unix) utility.