What's new

Unbound Unbound open DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johndoe85

How do I make unbound listen to the open internet?

I want to benefit from my adguard settings without have to use VPN tunnel when I am out roaming the streets with my cellphone.

And is there any risk with this that I should be aware off?

Most, if not all clients don't have the ability to specify a non-standard port for a DNS server. Therefore you would have to run Unbound on the normal DNS port which would be a huge security risk. At a minimum your home internet connection is likely to become flooded with bot traffic.

Most, if not all clients don't have the ability to specify a non-standard port for a DNS server. Therefore you would have to run Unbound on the normal DNS port which would be a huge security risk. At a minimum your home internet connection is likely to become flooded with bot traffic.
Ok, i would have figured that out myself, but how much of a problem is it? Do the bots sit there and scan 24/7 in huge numbers? And for what reason? There are open free ones they can use, i don't imagine this being as big as it might have been once upon a time, but i could be wrong?

EDIT: And is there no security measures one can take with this to make it more safe? Like a hammer protection, ban certain TLD's etc?

What a number of people around here have been working on, and Asus has seen and is following suit for an upcoming update to their firmware, is a WireGuard server implementation.
There are several threads in the AddOns subforum for you to read through, and the developer of the script is pretty accessible. You should head over and check things out.

What a number of people around here have been working on, and Asus has seen and is following suit for an upcoming update to their firmware, is a WireGuard server implementation.
There are several threads in the AddOns subforum for you to read through, and the developer of the script is pretty accessible. You should head over and check things out.
I already have wireguard installed. Just wanted to skip that as much as possible.

skip what, exactly?

How do I make unbound listen to the open internet?

I want to benefit from my adguard settings without have to use VPN tunnel when I am out roaming the streets with my cellphone.

set up encryption, then youre able to use DoT natively on android, or DoH/DoT on iOS. you'd have to open up port 853 or 443 depending on which protocol you use.

set up encryption, then youre able to use DoT natively on android, or DoH/DoT on iOS. you'd have to open up port 853 or 443 depending on which protocol you use.
Can this be used with an Samsung galaxy S9? running https://evolution-x.org/

anything above android 9 should be able to.
if you look into your settings > connections. look for Private DNS.
Yeah but can it handle other ports? Only one way to find out I guess.

Well, this is my question. How do I connect to this? I run this in my router, where and how do I open up ports for this? If I run it on the router I shouldn't have to open up anything. And adguard is not behind on any other machines so no need for redirect.

But my DDNS does not work. So I gotta change something somewhere to get this to work?

But my DDNS does not work. So I gotta change something somewhere to get this to work?
what DDNS Tunnel service are you using?

It'll be easier to get answers when you're forthright with your existing setup/config

Well, this is my question. How do I connect to this? I run this in my router, where and how do I open up ports for this? If I run it on the router I shouldn't have to open up anything. And adguard is not behind on any other machines so no need for redirect.

firstly, do you have a public IP?
yes you run on your router you still need to allow such connections through the firewall.

what DDNS Tunnel service are you using?

It'll be easier to get answers when you're forthright with your existing setup/config
What info do you want me to post?
I am using asuscomm.com for DDNS.

firstly, do you have a public IP?
yes you run on your router you still need to allow such connections through the firewall.
Ok where do i change this? Or enable this. Pin point :)