What's new

Unbound Unbound Setup With VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zim

Occasional Visitor
Need some help understanding where I'm going wrong configuring Unbound with VPN.

I have 2 VPN tunnels running.

VPN1: 185.56.45.45
VPN2: 74.45.584.52

I have few devices going through each. I have Unbound DNS queries routed through VPN1 and I have Accept DNS Configuration set to "Disabled" on the VPN Client page.

When doing DNS leak test from a device connected to VPN1, the expected result is:
IP Address = 185.56.45.45
DNS Address = 185.56.45.45

When doing DNS leak test from a device connected to VPN2, the expected result is:
IP Address = 74.45.584.52

I am not getting the expected result. I am getting the IP address of the VPN tunnel, but the DNS shows my actual (ISP) IP, therefore a DNS leak. I have scoured the web and the forums and tinkered with different combinations/settings and I'm out of ideas on how to fix this.

Is my understanding of the expected results correct?

Need some help understanding where I'm going wrong configuring Unbound with VPN.

I have 2 VPN tunnels running.

VPN1: 185.56.45.45
VPN2: 74.45.584.52

I have few devices going through each. I have Unbound DNS queries routed through VPN1 and I have Accept DNS Configuration set to "Disabled" on the VPN Client page.

When doing DNS leak test from a device connected to VPN1, the expected result is:
IP Address = 185.56.45.45

When doing DNS leak test from a device connected to VPN2, the expected result is:
IP Address = 74.45.584.52

I am not getting the expected result. I am getting the IP address of the VPN tunnel, but the DNS shows my actual (ISP) IP, therefore a DNS leak. I have scoured the web and the forums and tinkered with different combinations/settings and I'm out of ideas on how to fix this.

Is my understanding of the expected results correct?
I am getting your expected result with the script from @Swinson. Devices that route through WAN, OVPN1, OVPN2, WGVPN1 are all showing the same DNS Address of WGVPN1.
How do you route Unbound DNS queries through VPN1?

I am getting your expected result with the script from @Swinson. Devices that route through WAN, OVPN1, OVPN2, WGVPN1 are all showing the same DNS Address of WGVPN1.
How do you route Unbound DNS queries through VPN1?
I am routing unbound queries through VPN using the Unbound feature "BIND unbound to VPN". Isn't this the whole point of this feature?

I did, however, follow the step-by-step guide by @Vertron in the thread you posted. I am still not getting the expected results. I made a post in that thread.

I am routing unbound queries through VPN using the Unbound feature "BIND unbound to VPN". Isn't this the whole point of this feature?

I did, however, follow the step-by-step guide by @Vertron in the thread you posted. I am still not getting the expected results. I made a post in that thread.
Yes, swinson’s script works well for me. I started with bind unbound to openvpn client and now bind unbound to wireguard vpn client. I will try to have a look over there.