What's new

Solved Unbound stats went a little crazy after update.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Swinson

Regular Contributor
Looks like unbound had some fun with the firmware update and I figured I would share the weird behavior.

The stats are easily fixed by pressing the “Update stats” button.
IMG_6315.jpg

Last edited:
Opened the web interface this morning and unbound stats is looking a bit wacky again. Not a big deal but whatever caused this isn’t permanently fixed by updating the stats. Just a temporary fix until next reboot.

View after rebooting:
IMG_6317.jpg
View after updating stats:
IMG_6318.jpg

So weird. Never seen that before. Need to think about what data to collect for this. Anyone else seeing this?

So weird. Never seen that before. Need to think about what data to collect for this. Anyone else seeing this?

reinstalled Unbound from scratch and the GUI Tab is non existent. Also does not survive a reboot. This is with AC86U and 386.2

reinstalled Unbound from scratch and the GUI Tab is non existent. Also does not survive a reboot. This is with AC86U and 386.2

Is this after last weeks Entware update and the very recent patch?

Looks like unbound had some fun with the firmware update and I figured I would share the weird behavior.

The stats are easily fixed by pressing the “Update stats” button.View attachment 32788
When this happens next time, can you grab and post the file:

/tmp/var/wwwext/unbound_stats.sh/unboundchpstats.js

Seems to be a lot of repetition, or the ordering of the data is wrong...

Are you running the updated unbound? perhaps the logs changed, I haven't had time to upgrade yet...

When this happens next time, can you grab and post the file:

/tmp/var/wwwext/unbound_stats.sh/unboundchpstats.js

Seems to be a lot of repetition, or the ordering of the data is wrong...

Are you running the updated unbound? perhaps the logs changed, I haven't had time to upgrade yet...
Yeah it’s repeated data. I just cated that file and it looks like I have the same arrays defined at least twice for monthly and weekly data.

Sorry if the formatting is off. Copy and paste from my phones ssh app

edit: new paste from the file rather than a coping the output of a cat from my terminal. (Should have fixed those extra \n that we’re in the first one)

*edit 2*: big face palm... I deleted the first one and replaced it with the one after I updated the stats... so it doesn’t have the messed up data. I’ll reboot in a while..

Last edited:
I have the same set up and similar issue. The tab is there but is blank unless I uninstall graphical GUI and reinstall. But goes blank again after I log out and back in.

Yeah it’s repeated data. I just cated that file and it looks like I have the same arrays defined at least twice for monthly and weekly data.

Ok, this is it. Now to figure out why this could happen. This hasn't changed in a long time. Wondering if this is related to the webaddonui lock I added (which we all added) and something timing out and killing the init script.

Hello Joe, you seem to be able to reproduce this fairly easy. Can you try this for me?

in /jffs/scripts/post-mount file can you change the line:

/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup # Unbound_Stats.sh

to

/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup & # Unbound_Stats.sh

Hello Joe, you seem to be able to reproduce this fairly easy. Can you try this for me?

to

(Don't feel like I'm following you everywhere...)

What's the expected script behavior if a user has 2 USB drives plugged in and post-mount gets called twice (once for each drive)? What about a check like this to prevent startup being called if a non-entware drive is mounted?
Bash:
[ -f "${1}/entware/sbin/unbound" ] && /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup & # Unbound_Stats.sh

to

Exactly same - Unbound and SCMerlin - no tabs. Dave may be onto something above - Both of my locations have USB Drives installed that do not have Entware installed . Yesterday on my AX86U - I could only get two of the Jack Yaz Addons loaded on Reboot. None of the others loaded includiong Unbound. After much frustration I unplugged the USB Drive without Entware and managed to get all ADDONs loaded after a reboot INCLUDING Unbound.

(Don't feel like I'm following you everywhere...)

What's the expected script behavior if a user has 2 USB drives plugged in and post-mount gets called twice (once for each drive)? What about a check like this to prevent startup being called if a non-entware drive is mounted?
Bash:
[ -f "${1}/entware/sbin/unbound" ] && /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup & # Unbound_Stats.sh

Good point about multiple starts, but at worst it does initialize twice at boot, I will add in that check and avoid the double start.

My belief right now is that during post-mount I realized I am not starting the stats "startup" script in background mode, meaning I am holding up the remaining scripts for 15 seconds (as that is how i am waiting for unbound to launch).

In my test adding the background thread helped, but left me with empty stats, but let me incorporate the other changes and see if it helps Joe.

Good point about multiple starts, but at worst it does initialize twice at boot, I will add in that check and avoid the double start.

My belief right now is that during post-mount I realized I am not starting the stats "startup" script in background mode, meaning I am holding up the remaining scripts for 15 seconds (as that is how i am waiting for unbound to launch).

In my test adding the background thread helped, but left me with empty stats, but let me incorporate the other changes and see if it helps Joe.

BTW when choosing to install option 6 Install Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB - it goes through its install procedure installing verion 1.4.0 however option 6 still shows green <install Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB> after the install - in other words as if it didnt install the TAB. In the advanced Menu SGUI goes through install but fails to install the TAB even though pressing ? in the advanced menu shows [✔] Router Graphical GUI statistics TAB installed

BTW when choosing to install option 6 Install Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB - it goes through its install procedure installing verion 1.4.0 however option 6 still shows green <install Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB> after the install - in other words as if it didnt install the TAB. In the advanced Menu SGUI goes through install but fails to install the TAB even though pressing ? in the advanced menu shows [✔] Router Graphical GUI statistics TAB installed

I made some updates as suggested and pushed v1.4.1. Could you try the sgui command again? it should show install 1.4.1.

On my router config I have reported a few times now and the tabs Unbound and scMerlin are consistently there... so appreciate if you can help test with your config.

I made some updates as suggested and pushed v1.4.1. Could you try the sgui command again? it should show install 1.4.1.

On my router config I have reported a few times now and the tabs Unbound and scMerlin are consistently there... so appreciate if you can help test with your config.

OK I havent rebooted - but installing 1.4.1 using SGUI command in advanced menu still does not load the Unbound TAB. Also exactly same behaviour in amtm menu option 6 installing the GUI TAB shows green after install ( not red) indicating it did not install. PS I am on 3.23b9 from develop track. Exactly same on 3.22

After rebooting I have all TABS back and state of option 6 is correct. !! Seems to be fixed for now- Thank you so much

Last edited:
Juched
I have an update . My cron jobs for Conmon,Spdmerlin,NTP merlin and UIDivstats were missing. So I force installed those scripts. Having done so I am now missing the Unbound Tab with exactly the same behaviour as previously. seems to habe been deleted by forceinstalling the other scripts. When I try and install the GUI tab from amtm it goes through install process but does not install the tab with colour remaining green after install and still showing up as not installed.

After rebooting all tabs back again !!