What's new

Unbound Unbound_Manager Reboot Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John DeLuca

Regular Contributor
Hello I currently have unbound set up as both my ipv4 and ipv6 DNS address, i have this set up by having the ip of my router being the ipv4/6 dns addresses. An issue i keep having is if I have things set up like this and the system reboots for any reason (I have been having power outages lately) the router can not find DNS and I do not have any network connection. All of the addons will not load ether. The only way I can fix this issue is by adding a dns such as 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, letting the system grab dns again then changing back to my local ip. If I have the router to automatically pick out DNS addresses will it be smart enough to use an alternative DSN upon reboot then switch to unbound. Please let me know if you need any logs but all is up to date and I am using a gt-ax11000 router.

I have the occasional issue too. I think that's possibly because it starts trying to do its thing before my router has re-established its connection with my ISP. (and it depends on how quickly my ISP can authenticate my connection...if it gets hammered by a whole bunch of people basically at the same time, that can slow the process down for every customer, right?)
You might want to go read the master thread, where you have to input "backup/startup" DNS servers for the router to be happy before unbound starts to do its thing.
an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) may help prevent this recurring 99/100 times until you can sort out your best configuration, too.

Awesome thanks I’ll try searching for that. I do have a UPS from work I can use I just have to lug it home lol.

Unbound Manager implements a hard dependency on NTP syncing, so if the router can’t sync time on boot up, Unbound Manager will abort the startup.

For all that to be true, you would need:
  1. No external WAN DNS servers defined in the router GUI
  2. Hostnames entered for NTP servers on the Admin / System page
The correct fix is to have a reliable public resolver populated in WAN DNS. Don’t try to trick the router into using Unbound for its own lookups by misusing the WAN DNS entries.