What's new

Unbound unbound_manager with safe search enabled stops notifications on Android devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Slawek P

Hi,

When I activated safe search in unbound_manager two Samsung Galaxy S9s on our network stopped receiving notifications. Has anyone else experienced this on Android devices? I suppose this could be caused by a remap of google domain, but I do not know for sure.
Has anybody managed to come up with a workaround to still make use of safe search functionality? I am running unbound with dnsmasq disabled, but I do not think it matters. Have a nice evening everyone.

See here for some ideas:
Thanks @dave14305, I sent pull request to fix this issue within unbound manager. once @Martineau approves the patch users will just have to update their safe search configurations. Apparently the .google.com redirects to the ip address for forcesafesearch instead of using the IP addresses needed for google.com task such as push notifications and other app mission critical functions.

Last edited:
Thanks @dave14305, I sent pull request to fix this issue within unbound manager. once @Martineau approves the patch users will just have to update their safe search configurations. Apparently the .google.com redirects to the ip address for forcesafesearch instead of using the IP addresses needed for google.com task such as push notifications and other app mission critical functions.
v1.02 unbound_SafeSearch.sh available
If Safe Search is ENABLED....
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> ?

<snip>

[✔] Safe Search ENABLED (209 domains e.g. redirect "www.google.com" to "forcesafesearch.google.com")
then apply the patch
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> safesearch

Generating Safe Search domains.....
    unbound_SafeSearch.sh downloaded successfully

Enabling Safe Search.....
<snip>

v1.02 unbound_SafeSearch.sh available

If Safe Search is ENABLED....
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> ?

<snip>

[✔] Safe Search ENABLED (209 domains e.g. redirect "www.google.com" to "forcesafesearch.google.com")
then apply the patch
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> safesearch

Generating Safe Search domains.....
    unbound_SafeSearch.sh downloaded successfully

Enabling Safe Search.....
<snip>
Really good instructions above - was surprised initially not seeing new unbound_manager version.
Thanks, I have activated safe search and quick Android notification test shows everything is hunky dory

Really good instructions above - was surprised initially not seeing new unbound_manager version.
Thanks, I have activated safe search and quick Android notification test shows everything is hunky dory
I am curious if any one has used any of the other safe search filters such as bing for example. Feed back to how well any of the other safe search filters are working would help determine if anything else for any one is broken.