What's new

Understanding VLAN Assignments with Guest Network Pro: Managing VLANs Across Multiple SSIDs on ASUS RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binib26607

New Around Here
Hello,

I am reaching out to gain insights and solutions regarding the management of VLAN configurations on the RT-AX88U Pro router. Specifically, I'm focused on how VLANs are assigned to SSIDs. I observed that the router automatically, and seemingly mandatorily, creates a VLAN ID for every new Guest SSID, with the added functionality of allowing a wired port to be assigned to this VLAN ID.

However, two main challenges have arisen:

1. Main SSID to VLAN Assignment: I am unable to find an option to assign the main SSID to a VLAN. Is there any known workaround or method to achieve this?
  2. Same VLAN to Different SSIDs: I have been unsuccessful in attempts to assign the same VLAN to different guest networks, which could have served as a potential workaround for the first issue. Is there a solution or workaround to bypass this limitation?

Objective:​

My overarching goal is to consolidate most of my IoT devices within the same VLAN as my main network, ensuring the preservation of LAN control functionalities. In doing so, I'm seeking a versatile solution to readily switch IoT devices between VLANs as necessary.
To accomplish this, I am exploring the possibility of employing different SSIDs, each associated with the same VLAN. While this configuration would predominantly remain static, the flexibility to swiftly modify the VLAN associated with the IoT SSID is crucial. This approach is aimed at bypassing the exhaustive process of individually reconfiguring each IoT device when alterations in network segmentation are required.

Questions:​

1. Is there a specific method or workaround to assign the main SSID to a VLAN?
  2. How can the same VLAN be attributed to different SSIDs, considering the current limitations?
  3. Are there any alternative solutions or best practices for swiftly altering VLAN assignments for a group of IoT devices without modifying each device's configuration individually?
I greatly value any advice, experiences, or solutions that the community can share, and I look forward to your responses.
Thank you in advance for your assistance and time.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am reaching out to gain insights and solutions regarding the management of VLAN configurations on the RT-AX88U Pro router. Specifically, I'm focused on how VLANs are assigned to SSIDs. I observed that the router automatically, and seemingly mandatorily, creates a VLAN ID for every new Guest SSID, with the added functionality of allowing a wired port to be assigned to this VLAN ID.

However, two main challenges have arisen:

1. Main SSID to VLAN Assignment: I am unable to find an option to assign the main SSID to a VLAN. Is there any known workaround or method to achieve this?
  2. Same VLAN to Different SSIDs: I have been unsuccessful in attempts to assign the same VLAN to different guest networks, which could have served as a potential workaround for the first issue. Is there a solution or workaround to bypass this limitation?

Objective:​

My overarching goal is to consolidate most of my IoT devices within the same VLAN as my main network, ensuring the preservation of LAN control functionalities. In doing so, I'm seeking a versatile solution to readily switch IoT devices between VLANs as necessary.
To accomplish this, I am exploring the possibility of employing different SSIDs, each associated with the same VLAN. While this configuration would predominantly remain static, the flexibility to swiftly modify the VLAN associated with the IoT SSID is crucial. This approach is aimed at bypassing the exhaustive process of individually reconfiguring each IoT device when alterations in network segmentation are required.

Questions:​

1. Is there a specific method or workaround to assign the main SSID to a VLAN?
  2. How can the same VLAN be attributed to different SSIDs, considering the current limitations?
  3. Are there any alternative solutions or best practices for swiftly altering VLAN assignments for a group of IoT devices without modifying each device's configuration individually?
I greatly value any advice, experiences, or solutions that the community can share, and I look forward to your responses.
Thank you in advance for your assistance and time.
did you ever got an answer? @binib26607 I need to replace my AXE11000 which crashes randomly and thinking about upgrading, ideally i'd like to isolate all most IoT devices in different VLANs, based on their MACs, that possible?