What's new

unexpected reboots RT-AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aitor_mtb

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I currently have an Asus RT-AX58U router with firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49674, I am detecting router reboots an average of 1 every day or every other day, I am attaching system log in case someone can help me or knows what it can be.

Dec 7 13:50:37 rc_service: ntp 3273:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Dec 7 13:50:37 disk_monitor: Finish
Dec 7 13:50:37 disk monitor: be idle
Dec 7 13:50:38 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.2 0a0b3ae7
Dec 7 13:50:38 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.20
Dec 7 13:50:38 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Dec 7 13:50:38 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 4ff
Dec 7 13:50:40 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Dec 7 13:50:40 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3363] qos_ops is not registered!
Dec 7 13:50:40 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!
Dec 7 13:50:40 A.QoS: set_qos_on fails
Dec 7 13:50:40 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Dec 7 13:50:41 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=1
Dec 7 13:50:43 watchdog: start ddns.
Dec 7 13:50:43 rc_service: watchdog 2241:notify_rc restart_ddns watchdog
Dec 7 13:50:43 ddns: update WWW.ASUS.COM update@asus.com, wan_unit 0
Dec 7 13:50:43 ddns: Clear ddns cache.
Dec 7 13:50:43 ddns: Start Inadyn(9).

thanks

That small section of the log doesn't show anything useful. Post the entire log on pastebin.com and provide a link for us to look at it.

The router appears to crashed because of memory corruption. This could be a hardware problem or just a bug in the firmware.

You could try going back to a previous firmware and see if that is any better. Or you could try turning off some of the router's features, like AiProtection or QoS and seeing if that fixes it.

On the Asus website in the downloads section for your router.

On the Asus website in the downloads section for your router.

I'll try to see if I can solve the problem.

What if I have to disable functions to make it work well, I understand that it is a hardware problem?

What if I have to disable functions to make it work well, I understand that it is a hardware problem?
If disabling a software feature stops it crashing I would say that is a software bug. You can then report it to Asus and hopefully they will be able to fix it for a future firmware update.

If disabling a software feature stops it crashing I would say that is a software bug. You can then report it to Asus and hopefully they will be able to fix it for a future firmware update.
Thanks for your quick help, I'll come back with more information when I carry out the corresponding tests.

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

If it crashes again it could be worth using the feedback option in the GUI (Administration - Feedback) to send the log files to Asus.

Tas the last random reboot occurred on Wednesday, today has happened again (disable router components so I do not think it is that) today's reboot has been around 10:07 hours, in the log I find it curious that there are some lines that go from December 09 to May 05 (line 1254 and 1255), I do not know if with this new log we can find something different from the past the other day.

Thanks in advance.

Tas the last random reboot occurred on Wednesday, today has happened again (disable router components so I do not think it is that) today's reboot has been around 10:07 hours, in the log I find it curious that there are some lines that go from December 09 to May 05 (line 1254 and 1255), I do not know if with this new log we can find something different from the past the other day.

Thanks in advance.
The May 05 lines are normal when the router boots up.

Unfortunately there's no crash information at all in the log this time. That's the same as the other thread about the RT-AX58U.

At this point I would either a) get a refund for the RT-AX58U and replace it with a different model, or b) try using different versions of the firmware in the hope that one of those is stable.

The May 05 lines are normal when the router boots up.

Unfortunately there's no crash information at all in the log this time. That's the same as the other thread about the RT-AX58U.

At this point I would either a) get a refund for the RT-AX58U and replace it with a different model, or b) try using different versions of the firmware in the hope that one of those is stable.
Thanks for the information, what other model would you recommend?

Thanks for the information, what other model would you recommend?
Sorry, I can't really recommend any specific make or model as I only have personal experience of the RT-AC68U and RT-AX86U (both of which were/are excellent).

There will no doubt be posts from the usual suspects in these forums with very strong and contradictory opinions on what you should and shouldn't buy. I would only say don't take those opinions too seriously as their experience is from an North American perspective which have completely different WiFi characteristics to Europe (that's assuming WiFi is important to you).

That said, buy something within your budget from somewhere with a policy that lets you return it if it doesn't suit your needs. You'll see lots of recommendations for Asus routers in these forums but that's only because these forums are massively skewed towards Asus owners. Other manufacturers are available. Maybe consider the RT-AX68U if it's within budget or on sale. Do not get the RT-AC86U.

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't really recommend any specific make or model as I only have personal experience of the RT-AC68U and RT-AX86U (both of which were/are excellent).

There will be no doubt be posts from the usual suspects in these forums with very strong and contradictory opinions on what you should and shouldn't buy. I would only say don't take those opinions too seriously as their experience is from an North American perspective which have completely different WiFi characteristics to Europe (that's assuming WiFi is important to you).

That said, buy something within your budget from somewhere with a policy that lets you return it if if doesn't suit your needs. You'll see lots of recommendations for Asus routers in these forums but that's only because these forums are massively skewed towards Asus owners. Other manufacturers are available. Maybe consider the RT-AX68U if it's within budget or on sale. Do not
Thanks again for your collaboration. I am very grateful.

I understand that you currently have no problem with the Ax58u? are you running the latest software uploaded by asus?