What's new

Unidentified Network Issue.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Primetime0187

Occasional Visitor
Im currently having an issue where my LAN network is unidentified. Ive tried multiple solutions but cant seem to figure out what root of the issue is. Windows 10 Pro

Currently Ive tried the following:
New Ethernet Cables
Plugged directly into Router and Modem
Updated Drivers
Removed and Installed adapter
Set DNS
Static IP
Changed Speed and Duplex
Ensured Ethernet Card properly seated
Removed all power to PC for over 30 mins.

PC works just fine on the WiFi but simply will not identify my LAN connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Can you post a ipconfig /all from CMD when the network is identifying? Also, can you get online during the process? Last, what model NIC or motherboard are you using? Windows 10 or Windows 10 Anniversary?

:\Users\Christopher>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Christopher
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : elp.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 24-0A-64-B0-AB-52
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 26-0A-64-B0-AB-52

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8723AU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-16-D8-32-B8-C7

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-5F-F4-FD-25-45
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4a1:ff40:c025:c9a2%4(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.201.162(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 599547892
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-40-0E-7B-24-0A-64-B0-AB-52
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 4:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 24-0A-64-9F-8C-3E

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Mother Board ASrock Z87e-ITX

Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
Build 15063
Direct x 12.0

Your NIC is getting a 169 IP. Is the computer connected direct to the modem or a router? If a modem, post the modem's signal levels and diagnostic UI at 192.168.100.1. If a router, are other computers connected to the router also getting a 169 IP?

In general, my guess would be a driver issue. Did this happen after upgrading to Windows 10? Make sure you are running 22.7.1 and not the outdated 20.2 drivers ASRock have.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/70831/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I217-V

Your NIC is getting a 169 IP. Is the computer connected direct to the modem or a router? If a modem, post the modem's signal levels and diagnostic UI at 192.168.100.1. If a router, are other computers connected to the router also getting a 169 IP?

In general, my guess would be a driver issue. Did this happen after upgrading to Windows 10? Make sure you are running 22.7.1 and not the outdated 20.2 drivers ASRock have.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/70831/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I217-V

Everything else gets a 192 up address and I am connected straight to router. I have tested both and got the same results.

There are a couple different ways we could troubleshoot this. First is to try to isolate the symptom physically. The symptom is the router not negotiating DHCP with one client on one computer. If you connect another PC to that same ethernet, does that PC also get a 169 IP? If not, then the issue becomes the client. Can other DHCP clients, like one of your wireless adapters, connect to the router? Also why does it seem you are using Wifi N USB 2.0 wireless adapter if you Wifi AC internal? I ask incase problems with those adapters could be relevant to problems with your ethernet adapter.

Another way to troubleshoot it is from the software level. First open a elevated command prompt(CMD). See links below on instructions if needed. Then type "Ipconfig /release" and your IP should clear to a 0.0.0.0. If not, then that is one problem to be addressed. If it does clear, then type "Ipconfig /renew" and see how it fails. Also be aware of how long it takes to give you the error, as that might be relevant. If that doesn't give any relevant data, then the next step is to look at the DHCP client itself. To do this, look at your local area connection properties. To see those, press Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Enter and then right click on your NIC adapter and left click on properties. It should look something like the picture below. Anything that isn't default could be causing a problem with DHCP. Also check that your IPv4 service is set to DHCP for IP and DNS, at least during this testing phase.

configure-network-card.png

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-ip-address-windows-10

Looking over your OP again I see you already tried with wireless adapter and that worked, so that rules some things out. I think knowing what the properties are for your network adapter would be helpful.

"Are you on the router DMZ port ?"

+1 If your using a modem/router combo gateway in bridge mode, check that your PC is connected to your router, and NOT the gateway. Gateway can only give out 1 IP in bridge mode, and if that is going to your router, there isn't one to give your PC. So to be clear , if Modem/gateway LAN port 1 > ethernet > Router WAN > Router LAN > Ethernet > PC.

Unsure what the DMZ port is Degrub, however I just tested 3 different devices on that same Ethernet cable and port. My laptop/ wife’s laptop and my PS4. All 3 connected without issue which leads me to believe th the issue lies with the NIC itself.

C:\Users\Christopher>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Wi-Fi 2 while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 17 while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection 4 while it has its media disconnected.

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 2:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2605:6000:b484:1ff0:181d:233f:74ae:b132
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2605:6000:b484:1ff0:8440:face:d016:f229
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::181d:233f:74ae:b132%12
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::c256:27ff:fe4c:870e%12

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4a1:ff40:c025:c9a2%4
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.201.162

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection 4:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

C:\Users\Christopher>

This is after the Release IP Command

I think your USB wireless adapter is messing things up. I think it's connecting to someone else's wireless, or trying to anyway. Unplugg the wireless adapter from your computer and then reboot and see what your IP is then.

If that doesn't work, can you describe your network? Why do you have a external wireless adapter on a PC with internal wireless when you're not using either? Seems like there is a missing piece of the story. Do you use the PC for internet connection sharing(ICS) for example? Did anything happen to the PC that you suspect a physical problem with the NIC?

Looking at the data some more, it doesn't even look like the PC can establish a connection with the driver. Notice the lack of physical address or MAC when you listed the second IPconfig. I still think it's a driver issue, and not a physical defect with the NIC itself, but the problem could be the right driver doesn't exsist for the hardware. Have you had this problem only since upgrading to Windows 10? Or did this just happen out of the blue? Any other issues or symptoms with the PC?

Before

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-5F-F4-FD-25-45
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4a1:ff40:c025:c9a2%4(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.201.162(Preferred)
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 599547892
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-40-0E-7B-24-0A-64-B0-AB-52
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

After
"Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4a1:ff40:c025:c9a2%4
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.201.162
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :"

Truth be told i believe the issue started after my update to windows 10 from 8.1 pro. I took some pictures that I hope will help you narrow down the information that you might need.

Attachments

• Adapters.png
    Adapters.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 879
  • DM.png
    DM.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 562
  • PC2.jpg
    PC2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 771
  • PC3.jpg
    PC3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 834
Bingo, PC4.jpg I think answers the question and user DEgrub got it right.

Unplug the yellow ethernet from the Netgear gateway/modem and plug it into the Linksys router instead. So to be clear, it should go Netgear N600 > Blue ethernet > WAN/Internet port on Linksys router > LAN 1-4 on Linksys router > yellow ethernet to PC.

The actual colors of the ethernet don't matter, so you can switch them around to match the color coding of the devices, but the important thing is that your PC is connected to the Linksys router and NOT the Netgear device.

Are all of your devices running TCP/IPv6 ? That PC is connecting with IPv6.
Does your ISP support IPv6 on your connection ?
Many here in the US do not over cable. They are on IPv4.
You should be able to fix by unchecking IPv6 on the adapter driver page you listed above.

Sorry gentleman yesterday was super busy. Neither of the solutions provided were able to fix the problem. I switched the cables and unchecked all IPv6 settings

Then more info is needed when you have more time. The problem is you have two ethernet plugged into your ISP gateway. Is the gateway in bridge or router mode? If in bridge mode, only 1 ethernet can be plugged into it. After that, what IP are you getting over ethernet from the linksys router? What IP is the Linksys router getting?

Then more info is needed when you have more time. The problem is you have two ethernet plugged into your ISP gateway. Is the gateway in bridge or router mode? If in bridge mode, only 1 ethernet can be plugged into it. After that, what IP are you getting over ethernet from the linksys router? What IP is the Linksys router getting?
The Netgear has router mode turned off, (I just did this yesterday to try and fix it) I was hoping that would make sure it didn’t conflict with the Linksys router. Also do you want those ips with the WiFi on or off ?