What's new

Unsolved: can’t facetime while connected to openvpn server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zonkd

Very Senior Member
While remotely connected to asus openvpn server is it possible to place/receive FaceTime calls? It does not work for me.

I can't say yes or no to your specific question, sorry.

I do know that I have had trouble sending apple feedback reports while connected to my ASUS openvpn server. I disconnected and it went thru in like 3 seconds, where it had been trying to send for several minutes and ultimately timed out while on the VPN. Problem app :Apple news... failed to load pages while connected to my vpn. Upon disconnection it works just fine. Reconnect and the issue arises again.

* News was the app I was trying to send the feedback on.
* macOS Catalina beta.

I love Apple, I really do I have owned multiple devices, Macs, iPads Phones etc.. but just wait, next year we will be informed Apple is starting a new service, VPN access @ $xx.xx a month and includes all family members, on family sharing. It comes already baked in and is ready to go on all Macs, iOS, iPadOS etc... I mean they have all these data centers and a lot of our data already goes through them. What better way to add another service to the mix and get more money from us. They are becoming more and more of a service company and looking for new ways to make more money on services.
I am sure it would get a lot of attention from the press and consumers alike because Apple touts themselves as being super cool on privacy issues etc. Bonus points it will work with all Apple services and apps. like FaceTime.

* The above VPN portion is complete speculation mixed with a little satire. I have no knowledge of such a service ever being considered by Apple.

I didn't mean to derail your thread. I was hoping you might find it a little humorous considering the issue you are having. Sometimes you just gotta let out a good laugh. :cool:

edit : I can't tinker with the net at the moment the mrs works from home. She would kill me if I took down her conference/online call. :p I'll try and check it later in the evening.

Last edited:
... Has anyone got FaceTime working while remotely connected to their openvpn server?

Hey @Zonkd

Wife is out today, so yes I for one can confirm, I am having issues with FaceTime, iMessage, and News, not working over the VPN.

Using (stable) Viscosity for Mac as my client, also * running macOS Catalina Beta. I am unable to say if its a config issue with Viscosity the Server or something else.

(Beta) Viscosity with improved support for Catalina is no better with the above mentioned apps.

* I am waiting till the GM is released to do a nuke and pave on my Mac, as I have no show stopping issues right now, at least none I can't work around.

* edit... Shut down the VPN and all goes back to working properly.

* edit 2 .. This was on my 5300 and a dirty upgrade from the last merlin alpha (.13). I probably need to nuke/pave it too. I don't think I ll have time this weekend and Ill be gone for a biz trip for a few weeks. It will probably have to wait a bit.

Ugh,.......this big dummy behind the keyboard!!! I forgot to tick share DNS with clients. in my setup. *Fixed that!

Everything is working just fine, FaceTime, iMessage and News.
I just finished a FaceTime call from the Mac (thru VPN) to the Mrs phone (Cell) and zero issues. Her Phone is not setup to automatically connect to the VPN. So I cannot check 2 connected clients at the moment.

I'll give it a go when she gets in a little later this evening.

Ugh,.......this big dummy behind the keyboard!!! I forgot to tick share DNS with clients. in my setup. *Fixed that!

Everything is working just fine, FaceTime, iMessage and News.
I just finished a FaceTime call from the Mac (thru VPN) to the Mrs phone (Cell) and zero issues. Her Phone is not setup to automatically connect to the VPN. So I cannot check 2 connected clients at the moment.

I'll give it a go when she gets in a little later this evening.

Thanks for looking into it. This issue is with my iPhone — I haven’t tested it with a Mac. So you’re saying FaceTime and the rest only works on your Mac if the server is advertising the routers DNS? Thats an odd condition, I wouldn’t think it’d matter, but in any case I am already advertising it. Did you make any other customisations in your client or server config? Mind doing a screenshot? If you do manage to get FaceTime working on the iPhone (while on VPN) it’ll confirm something’s wrong on my server.

Edit: all of a sudden it’s started working. Maybe it’s resolved itself... hopefully it’s not an intermittent issue. It wasn’t working for days. Will keep you posted!

Last edited:
Thanks for looking into it. This issue is with my iPhone — I haven’t tested it with a Mac. So you’re saying FaceTime and the rest only works on your Mac if the server is advertising the routers DNS? Thats an odd condition, I wouldn’t think it’d matter, but in any case I am already advertising it. Did you make any other customisations in your client or server config? Mind doing a screenshot? If you do manage to get FaceTime working on the iPhone (while on VPN) it’ll confirm something’s wrong on my server.

Edit: all of a sudden it’s started working. Maybe it’s resolved itself... hopefully it’s not an intermittent issue. It wasn’t working for days. Will keep you posted!
RFI Router Fixed Itself. They’re my favourite outcomes.

all of a sudden it’s started working. Maybe it’s resolved itself... hopefully it’s not an intermittent issue. It wasn’t working for days. Will keep you posted!

I believe the word you’re looking for is “automagically”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you’re saying FaceTime and the rest only works on your Mac if the server is advertising the routers DNS? Thats an odd condition, I wouldn’t think it’d matter,

This is a self imposed config issue for me, I always tick use full VPN dns and all traffic over VPN on the viscosity settings. I got in the habit of that once while traveling and found my dns was leaking.

Glad your sorted, hopefully for the long haul. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!