Untangle - Hardware Specs

Protos

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

I am interested in setting up a router/firewall based on Untangle. I have a 1 gig fiber connection and I want to be able to run all modules like ipd/ips ect at full speed.
On the Untangle website there are a couple of devices that are for sale but they will only do 500mbs.

Does anyone have any insights they could share ?

Thanks for reading.

degrub

Very Senior Member
Have you searched the threads here or in the security subforum ?
there have been a number of conversations about Gbit and untangle/pfsense etc and hardware used in recent history.

Protos

Regular Contributor
I did a quick search but all I was getting was quad core x86 and I did not want that power usage..
Do not normally browse outside of the Merlin sub forum or the general forum.
Thanks for pointing me to the security sub section. I quite like it.

Protos

Regular Contributor
Thanks tarassippo, I did look at protecli.
I have to say I find the prices a little ridiculous.

It looks like I will probably end up going with a quad core Intel mini pc of some flavor. It appears to be the best bang for the buck so to speak.
Not silent or as efficient but I cannot justify 600 for router/firewall on my small network. Add in access points and license fee, assorted accessories and you start getting past the 1k region.
I wanted to keep router/ap to under 500

Protos

Regular Contributor
Last edited:

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I used an Intel server motherboard with a Xeon CPU in my rack. My server motherboards being Intel contained 2 Intel 1g NICs.

I turned off my rack so I am interested in what you find. I might have to run Untangle again in the future. You never know.

Smokey613

Very Senior Member
Thank you that looks very interesting. I thought you need more than 2ghz to do 1gbs maxed out. Would be great if it could do the job.

@Jose C
Thank you Jose, I am a little hesitant regarding Ali express but I will definitely see what they have. Thank you.

@Tech9
Indeed. Truth but some options presented that may skin the cat so to speak.

You are probably correct in needing a more powerful cpu for 1G service. I only have 100M connections so it meets my needs without any problems.

Jose C

Occasional Visitor
Thank you that looks very interesting. I thought you need more than 2ghz to do 1gbs maxed out. Would be great if it could do the job.

@Jose C
Thank you Jose, I am a little hesitant regarding Ali express but I will definitely see what they have. Thank you.

@Tech9
Indeed. Truth but some options presented that may skin the cat so to speak.
I was a bit worried about buying there but it turns out to be ok, they sent it using dhl, I could see tracking info and after three years later the qotom box is still working no problem.