What's new

Upcoming Marvell Boards - ARMv8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Lot of folks know perhaps about the low-end A53 based Armada board...e.g GlobalScale's EspressoBin board...

https://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-72-marvell-espressobin.aspx

espressobin_interfaces.jpg

SolidRun is doing the higher end MacchiatoBin board - based on the Armada 8040 (Quad Cortex-A72)

https://www.solid-run.com/marvell-armada-family/armada-8040-community-board/

It's a beast... spent a couple of days with a pre-production sample...
Mbin-Side.jpg

Block_Diagram1.png

Wow!
Very impressed by the 2.5 Gbit and 2 times 10 Gbit interfaces on the 8040 outline!
...and the 4 times SATA 3.0 as well! But where is the 4th connector - I see only 3 of them near the battery?

@sfx2000 nice board! havent seen that one only seen the solidrun boards before, are you looking at these boards for your project ?

I believe that the SolidRun board will be very well suited for a router.
* Logging can be done to a harddisk instead of flash/SD/MMC.
* A 10Gbit port can used as uplink to a 1Gbit switch which has a 10G SFP; this would eliminate 1Gbps bottlenecks.
* Power usage would quite low.
* If you need even more network ports, there are 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes on the PCIe slot.
* Status LEDs can be easily connected to GPIO ports (remember the resistors).
* A whole bunch of customization is possible (buzzers, TFT-displays, etc, etc.)

SolidRun's products are high quality products; I'll probably purchase one of these boards myself, but I wonder if I have enough discipline to use it as a router and not be tempted to using it as a compile-farm and "all the other things it can be usd for". ;)

Compare it to a Gbit router; it's the same price as some of the best consumer-grade routers and lower price than a 10Gbit switch. You'd probably be able to make a 10Gbit router with this board.

They're both pretty interesting... challenge here is that SolidRun can be a challenge with actual shipping devices - and GlobalScale is similar - these are dev boards, and part of the problem is they don't scale to retail numbers...

EspressoBin - nice little unit that can do some serious bandwidth routing in the sub-1G space, and the price seems to be right.

MacchiatoBin - like I mentioned earlier - it's a beast - with the multiple 10Gbe/SATA3 options - and it's damn fast - challenge there for consumer routers - it's probably a bit on the high side, and that's without wireless - with Wireless - there's the problem with drivers/kernel/ARMv8-A, which there aren't many outside of (NDA stuff)

I do see Armada 8040 in the consumer/SMB NAS space on the higher end - the little Armada 3720 at some point might replace the Armada 385/388/XP - it's a stout little processor and a fast bus - and it works with both Topaz and LinkStreet SOHO...

(I'm replying to this thread - at the risk of this post/thread being deleted (@thiggins) - I have a fair amount of experience with the 3720 on a science project - it's a very capable chip)

looks interesting, i hope its not expensive to get a sample, i'd like to get my hands on the higher end one. Reminds me of the dev boards from qualcomm and nvidia.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!