What's new

Update firmware or not, that is the question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mightyoakbob

Regular Contributor
I would appreciate opinions or advice on this.

Since christmas I've been using 374.36_beta1-sdk5 on my RT-N66u.
It works very well indeed, the only issue I know about is dropping connections to our kindles but everything else is fine.

Reading the .40 thread, it seems many people are having problems with it but of course I suppose, people that find it ok, don't post.

So is there a good reason to either update or not?

Thanks in advance.

Bob.

There's only one way to find out. Back up your settings and go for it.

That is my plan for this weekend, real-life permitting.

Same router and same firmware.

I agree with DrTeeth, the only way to find out (for you) is to try it.

I have to say though that I have upgraded my RT-N66U from each firmware within days of it being released (RMerlin's and Asus') and as long as I didn't take any shortcuts (like; not doing a full reset and full, manual, reconfiguration) each update has been good to great.

The sdk-5 firmwares are essentially obsolete now as RMerlin isn't updating that branch. To give yourself the best chance of having no issues with the new firmware:

1) Unplug all USB devices from your router.

2) Unplug all Ethernet cables except the one you're using to connect the computer that will configure it.

3) Restart the router (I would suggest by pulling the power plug, not a reboot via the web gui).

4) Upgrade the firmware.

5) Reset to defaults and do another hard restart (pull the power plug).

6) Setup the router as basic as possible (we only need to access the internet right now). I would also be using new ssid's or removing/forgetting network connections from all devices and then re-associating each device (easier to set a new ssid instead, imo).

7) I suggest another reboot here (has solved many problems for me).

8) When the router has been left to fully reboot (I wait a good 5 minutes here), continue manually setting up the router for your needs. Changing one major feature at a time and testing for a while is a good way to go.

9) When it is fully setup as you need; pull the power once more (on both the router and the modem), wait a good 10 to 15 minutes, power on the router first, (waiting 2 minutes), power on the modem (waiting an additional 5 minutes).

(What powering off the modem does is resets your connection with your ISP and hopefully gets rid of any glitches that may be introduced by not doing so).

You may also want to try the suggests in the thread linked below.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=104073#post104073

(I have to make a single post on all of the 'best of the best' settings one day).

Now, if your experience is anything like mine: your network will be rock solid again until you mess with it again. ;)

I am on the 374.40 firmware since it was released (~9 days...) with no issues whatsoever (at least; performance wise).

Thanks guys.

I take your points and I'm grateful for the method advice.

I can see for enthusiasts it is obviously the right move but I just want it to work which to be honest it already is.

So no security reasons then.

Cheers,

Bob.

So no security reasons then.

Security reasons? Oh yes (about a million) - but security for me is secondary to performance as I don't use any of the advanced features like sharing a USB drive, VPN, etc. etc..

I am gradually using more and more of the advanced features.

I have an Archis 7 320 GB which I replaced with a Nexus 7 v2 tablet. It took me ages to take the jump having had 320 GB to play with in the past.

I use the DNLA server on the router with a USB flash drive connected. On my 'to-do' list to to check out my self-spinning down Samsung Story USB 2 drive.

The only reason to buy an Asus router is Merlin's software*.

*Call me old-fashioned, but it would be nice to get a 'thank you' when donating even if it is a canned/boilerplate reply. It really hacks me off when I do not get one and jeopardises future donations. Probably down to me being British.

Toodle pip,

DrTeeth

The only reason to buy an Asus router is Merlin's software*.

*Call me old-fashioned, but it would be nice to get a 'thank you' when donating even if it is a canned/boilerplate reply. It really hacks me off when I do not get one and jeopardises future donations. Probably down to me being British.

I have replied to every single donation email I have received since day one.

EDIT: I replied to yours on 2014-03-07 @ 7:40 PM (Eastern time).

My sincere apologies, I believe you and I must have missed it. You have no idea how many software authors do not say 'thanks'.

Update: I have just sent another donation by way of saying sorry and testing to see that your emails are not being blocked.

DrT

Last edited:
My sincere apologies, I believe you and I must have missed it. You have no idea how many software authors do not say 'thanks'.

Update: I have just sent another donation by way of saying sorry and testing to see that your emails are not being blocked.

DrT

No problem.

I just replied to it, this time with a receipt request to see if it does get delivered. The address to which my reply was sent was was "e***@yourdomainname.co.uk"

Receipt confirmed.

With kind regards

DrT