1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Update my RT-AC86U to 384.15 and now daily hang

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by jyavenard, Mar 31, 2020.

1. jyavenard

jyavenard Occasional Visitor

Hi.

I updated my RT-AC86U last week to 384.15. And since I get random UI lockup, or the DNS server stop responding.
    Sometimes I can ping the router but that's about it. No UI, no internet. SSH will respond on the port, but can't login etc.
    May have to downgrade.

Anyone else experienced that issue?

2. jyavenard

I flashed 384.14.2 but the version still shows as 384.15, is this to be expected?

or can't you downgrade firmware?

3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

The version shown is what is running.

Remove (safely, within the GUI) or otherwise any USB devices connected and then reflash the version you want again.

4. jyavenard

I upgrade to the 348.16 beta3 with the USB devices connected and that upgrade worked well. So I expected that downgrading would work the same.

Haven't had a hang since, touching wood for now

L&LD likes this.
  5. kernol

kernol Senior Member

@jyavenard - Just my 2 cents worth - not wise on an AC86U to flash firmware with USB still attached.

This particular router model consumes most of the RAM supplied on the unit in an efficient performance enhancing manner - but leaves precious little for pushing through a firmware update.

Plenty of problems reported [similar to your OP in this thread] - in other threads where the firmware flash appears to have been partial or failed entirely.

The process I follow is here.

HorseCalledHorse likes this.
  6. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

It's a normal assumption, even if it isn't based on fact. It could have just as easily been that the update failed but the downgrade succeeds. The one doesn't predict the other. :)

7. DarkKnight75

DarkKnight75 Regular Contributor

I've had issues with 384 .14 and .15 (mainly wifi stability, GUI hangs) and since i reverted back to 384.12 it's been running 30 days without any glitches..

Val D. likes this.