What's new

Update OpenDNS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

esfu

Regular Contributor
I use OpenDNS servers as DNS servers in ASUS RT-AX92U. It works fine as far as using those DNS servers.

I have a dynamic public IP provided by the ISP which changes regularly.

As I have configured OpenDNS settings to custom, I log into the OpenDNS dashboard regularly to update my IP address to enable customized settings and provide me with proper stats etc. The OpenDNS client software to update OpenDNS settings for my network from Windows does not seem to be working for me properly.

Is there any way updating OpenDNS settings automatically when my public IP changes can be achieved using the ASUS RT-AX92U or the DDNS features within it ?

I use dnsomatic update opendns and other dns services
Can you tell me in little more detail as to how do I use dnsomatic to update OpenDNS ? The client software did not work on my computer. And ASUS router says I am on a separate WAN IP and cannot use DDNS. i.e. LAN port of ISP Router connected to WAN port of ASUS RT-AX92U to use ASUS RT-AX92U as a full fledged router is what I guess.

Your router's firmware is about a year old and external WAN IP detection is perhaps not yet available. Seems like your ISP device is a modem/router in router mode and your Asus router is in double NAT behind it. You have to use OpenDNS Updater on a PC for now or switch your ISP device to modem only, if possible. Then you can use DNS-O-Matic service. Newer Asuswrt firmware versions solve this issue, but not yet available for your router.

your ISP device is a modem/router in router mode and your Asus router is in double NAT behind it
Yes. My ISP modem/router is in router mode and no devices are connecting to it except the ASUS RT-AX92U which acts as my main router on a different network segment. This does make it in a double NAT environment as mentioned below.
temp.png

My router release notes says in bug fixes and enhancements on DNS - Fixed DDNS issues where the WAN IP is IPv6 and has nothing mentioned on external WAN IP detection.

Before switching to ASUS RT-AX92U, I was using a DD-WRT router which had the ability to find the external WAN IP which appears to be not available in ASUS RT-AX92U as of now.

switch your ISP device to modem only, if possible
How do I do make my ISP device modem only? My ISP device is the main device which brings internet within the home through a RJ45 and wireless.

For the internet part, I have nothing connected to ISP modem cum router except that the LAN port of ISP modem cum router is connected to WAN port of ASUS RT-AX92U router and no devices connect to the wireless SSIDs of ISP modem cum router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!