What's new

update remotely?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sure, as long as you use the Asus app to connect initially to the router.

Asus firmware restoration 2.0.0.0?

currently running an older version of Merlin's software, I was just going to login and update the software.

I am out of the country so might not be a good idea?

Not a good idea at all, unless the consequences of having your router not working until you return do not cause a problem.

That's always possible, I've updated the routers at a local private school that I support, no issues

There's always a chance that a physical power cycle is required after a firmware upgrade since you are writing on top of a live filesystem. Never do so unless you have someone on site ready to do so if necessary.

Asus firmware restoration 2.0.0.0?
No you can't use this utility remotely because it is used when you have put the router into recovery mode (which is a manual procedure). You can use the normal web interface to update the firmware remotely with the risks stated above.

There's always a chance that a physical power cycle is required after a firmware upgrade since you are writing on top of a live filesystem. Never do so unless you have someone on site ready to do so if necessary.
Are there any other issues or risks I should be aware of if I update the router firmware over a VPN connection to the router (router is the VPN Server/Laptop is the Client)? There is always someone at the sites I support that can do the physical power cycle. Thank you.

Are there any other issues or risks I should be aware of if I update the router firmware over a VPN connection to the router (router is the VPN Server/Laptop is the Client)? There is always someone at the sites I support that can do the physical power cycle. Thank you.
I have done plenty of f/w updates over OVPN and it works awesome. When you are done the flash it will say the router needs to be manually rebooted. I disconnect the router from the vpn server and then reconnect again and refresh the page. This gives you access again to the f/w webui. Then just use the reboot button and again disconnect from the vpn server. My setup is my router as client to my remote location as server both are asus routers. If you wait long enough I think the vpn will reconnect if the server is configured to start at boot.

I don't think I've ever done it over VPN, but it shouldn't be a problem, as long you have a stable connection.