What's new

Update RT-AC68U firmware: 3.0.0.4.376.44_0 (Merlin build) to the latest version: 386.9_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greeno

Regular Contributor
Hello.
After a long time of separation, the ASUS RT-AC68U router returned to me, which I once gave to someone and configured. The firmware installed on it is Firmware: 3.0.0.4.376.44_0 (Merlin build) - quite old. Currently, practically no browser supports the router's web server anymore, I am only able to connect to firefox. I haven't been on the subject for a long time, and I would like to update Merlin's firmware to the latest version. The question is how best to do it and what to pay attention to.

What should the procedure look like after downloading the latest firmware for RT-AC68U:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Release/RT-AC68U_386.9_0.zip/download

Upgrade to 378.55 first. Then upgrade to 386.9. If 386.9 fails to install, install 380.61, followed by 386.9

After that, do a factory default reset, and reconfigure everything manually.

Thank you, Merlin.
I understand that I update normally through the web interface of the router as written in the FAQ.
Loading files one by one:

RT-AC68U_378.55_0.trx
RT-AC68U_386.9_0.trx

or

RT-AC68U_378.55_0.trx
RT-AC68U_380.61_0.trx
RT-AC68U_386.9_0.trx

then do a factory reset.

Should I somehow clear the router's memory, when I originally set it up I used JFFS which has a lot of scripts on it. Many additional other services are also installed: WWW, etc.

You can replace the firmware straight with 386 base using Firmware Restoration Tool. Just double-check the firmware version you are flashing. Hard reset the router after. The first boot may take a bit longer than usual. I've done it few times back and forth on AC68U and variants with no issues.

Here:
(select Windows 10 64-bit as OS, Software and Utility -> Show all)

Just be careful because the process is slow and has no firmware verification. If you flash wrong firmware you lose the router.

Your router has to be in Rescue Mode for Firmware Restoration Tool to work:

It sounds complicated, but it isn't. The multi-step multi-firmware upgrade above in GUI is perhaps slower, but safer. Your choice.

You can replace the firmware straight with 386 base using Firmware Restoration Tool. Just double-check the firmware version you are flashing. Hard reset the router after. The first boot may take a bit longer than usual. I've done it few times back and forth on AC68U and variants with no issues.
I'm not 100% sure it would work in his case, as he's going from a 32 MB rootfs to a 64 MB one (that's what the 378.55 update will take care of).

Should I somehow clear the router's memory, when I originally set it up I used JFFS which has a lot of scripts on it. Many additional other services are also installed: WWW, etc.
The final factory default reset will take care of resolving any potential compatibility issues. You might need to reinstall any addons however, as they may be too old to work with newer firmwares.

Rmerlin, I just started to update the firmware in RT-AC68U ;), unfortunately still no time.
For software version: 378.55 it went without a problem.
Then I updated the firmware to version 386.9. Currently after this update the router keeps restarting (all the LAN and USB 2.0 LAN LEDs turn on briefly then go off and the power LED comes on and stays on for a while then reboots. I'm wondering if I need to wait a bit when i read that it can take up to an hour to update to this firmware version if not how to update to 386.9 then 386.9?

After upgrading to 386.9 you need to reset the router to factory defaults and configure manually. Do a WPS hard reset after so many firmware changes.

How to hard reset the rt-AC68U by holding down the WPS button for a few seconds with the power on.
By holding down the reset button with the power on?

Don't do a lot of configuration because this router has vary limited NVRAM left after fresh boot and you may run into issues down the road. Keep it simple and don't overdo it with too many DHCP reservations, VPN clients or Custom Scripts. This router is >10-years old hardware - treat it with respect. :)

To add to what Tech9 indicated, there is only so much you can do with a 10 year old router before you quickly and rapidly hit the processor performance, NVRAM, RAM wall or bottleneck. If NVRAM is starting to be an issue, which it is for those of us moving their RT-AC68U to 386.9 or later firmware, you may want to perform some of the various methods below to help free up some NVRAM space:
  • Move static IP reservations to a separate file (/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add) or use YazDHCP.
  • Clean NVRAM of unused values.
See these links for more information and suggestions:
https://github.com/jackyaz/YazDHCP
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/y...mit-on-the-number-of-dhcp-reservations.69247/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/solved-high-nvram-usage.56848/#post-494736
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/3...lable-build-s-for-ac-models.83565/post-824457

I noticed that the router is a bit slow.
I have almost everything set up. Originally, a 3TB USB 3.0 drive with movies and music was connected to the router. Currently, when I connect the disk and run UPNP (minidlna) and want it to map the data, the router hangs from time to time and I don't think it can handle it. I had to disconnect the drive otherwise I had problems connecting to the router. Do you have any ideas how to solve this. I also sometimes have a problem with connecting to the router via SSH, but this problem also existed on older firmware (via WAN it connects without a problem). I would also like to restore the OpenVPN functionality I originally set up. When I insert individual certificates and set all the configuration as it was originally, the VPN server refuses to start. Below is the OVPN configuration:

server bridge 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.224 10.0.0.9 10.0.0.9
protocol
port 1194
touch dev
comp-lzo
keep alive 15 60
verb 3
client to client
press "dhcp option DNS 10.0.0.1"
press "route-gateway 10.0.0.1"
press "redirect-gate def1"
openvpn-status.log
push "topology subnet"

<ca>
-----START CERTIFICATE-----
-----END OF CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>

<dh>
-----DHW START PARAMETERS-----
-----END OF DH PARAMETERS-----
</dh>

<certificate>
-----START CERTIFICATE-----
-----END OF CERTIFICATE-----
</cert>

<key>
-----RUN PRIVATE KEY-----
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----
</key>

Try to replace "press" with "push" and try again.

I don't quite understand your statement, what and where should I replace?
Likely Octopus is indicating you should change the three "press" entries to "push".
Example from what you posted:
Code:
press "dhcp option DNS 10.0.0.1"
press "route-gateway 10.0.0.1"
press "redirect-gate def1"
To:
Code:
push "dhcp option DNS 10.0.0.1"
push "route-gateway 10.0.0.1"
push "redirect-gate def1"