What's new

Update VPN ovpn file via SSH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cplay

Is it possible to Update VPN ovpn file via SSH?

I.e. just changing server ip address without having to re-do all of their routing rules.

If so, how?

@L&LD , @OzarkEdge , @RMerlin , @Val D. , @ColinTaylor - any ideas?

This would be for multiple clients using my vpn server that may rotate ip's.

You don't need to ping everyone by name when you post a question. People will see it if they're on the forum.

You don't need to ping everyone by name when you post a question. People will see it if they're on the forum.

Thank you for all your help.

It's also not the case - just because you are on the forum does not mean you will see the thread.

Last edited:
It's also not the case - just because you are on the forum does not mean you will see the thread.
Specific individuals are not providing you with a personal support service. It's meant to be "community" help. I can think of one forum member that is not in your list that is probably more qualified than most to help you.

Your question also seems to be specific to Merlin's implementation of OpenVPN so it might be more appropriate to move it to the Merlin forum rather than the generic VPN forum.

Specific individuals are not providing you with a personal support service. It's meant to be "community" help. I can think of one forum member that is not in your list that is probably more qualified than most to help you.

Your question also seems to be specific to Merlin's implementation of OpenVPN so it might be more appropriate to move it to the Merlin forum rather than the generic VPN forum.

So a flaccid first post and then followed up by an equally flaccid different angle.

You state you know someone who is likely to have an answer to my question yet provide no additional information.

Once again, thank you for your help and community spirit.

So a flaccid first post and then followed up by an equally flaccid different angle.

You state you know someone who is likely to have an answer to my question yet provide no additional information.

Once again, thank you for your help and community spirit.
Community spirit isn't tagging members directly FYI, nor PM'ing them. Post your question issue in the relevant place, and people that can help will reply in due course :)

Community spirit isn't tagging members directly FYI, nor PM'ing them. Post your question issue in the relevant place, and people that can help will reply in due course :)

Nor is community spirit not helping someone knowing full well you can.

Tagging feature exists for a reason and the question was about ovpn files and it was in the correct place.

Last edited:
Is it possible to Update VPN ovpn file via SSH?

I.e. just changing server ip address without having to re-do all of their routing rules.

If so, how?
This would be for multiple clients using my vpn server that may rotate ip's.

Could you please explain your configuration and clarify what you want to do?

It seems like a somewhat similar question was asked before here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/modify-openvpn-server-settings-via-ssh-instead.46948/
but the answer to that question was a bit more open-ended and you would have to look through the source code to figure out which NVRAM parameters to modify. Not too sure myself either and not sure how the ovpn file would be regenerated once you make the necessary changes to the NVRAM parameters.

No one will help you if you come here with that arrogant spirit.
Community spirit is made of altruistic work and altruism don't combine with arrogance.
And pinging people just because yes doesn't mean they'll personalize their help to you.

And there's the proof. None of them helped you. End of sentence.

Please be less arrogant my friend. And if you don't have community spirit, please leave any forums where you are and pay to someone/some company to help you anytime you need.

And just because of my community spirit, and if understood well, you want to change your VPN Server IP via ssh. That's possible doing:
nvram set vpn_vpnserverX=ip.ip.ip.ip

If you want to change one of your vpn clients server address, you can use:
nvram set vpn_clientX_addr=theaddressyouwant

Where X is your VPN server/client number.
Have a great day

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!